mental meltdown

I'm a military wife my husband and I just moved to milwaukee 3 weeks ago I just gave birth a week ago. He starts recruiting duty tomorrow and I'm home with a newborn and a 6 year old I'm feeling mentally drained with a lot of anxiety.we don't have any family or friends here. How do I get settled into a routine without having a meltdown?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• take it one day at a time. Organization is helpful. Tell dad to make sure you have everything you need before he leaves (food, meds, etc) Don't try to be super mom. Just do what's important but don't overdo. Try to keep the six yr old on a schedule. It will all be ok. Hugs

Answer by admckenzie at 11:56 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• make yourself a "to do" list. and an hourly chart with times.... that helps take the mental anguish off. Make sure to give yourself time to rest! Very very important. Do the laundry on one day...only, make that on a day hubby can help with the kids and make that day the clean house day also..the rest of the time Keep things very simple and easy...again...rest! You cant take care of them if you dont take care of YOU! and your always welcome to vent on cafemom...we do!!! LOL!
    Congratulations!
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 12:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Milwaukee is an awesome city, you will really enjoy it (I am just a few miles south, in Chicago). Get to know your way around before the weather gets cold.

Here is a great link to help you get started: http://www.milwaukeemoms.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 1:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Try to get the six year old involved. S/he can bring you diapers and wipes, can help tidy, can do a lot of little things that would really help. As others have said, don't try to be super mom, you can leave the dishes in the sink, yes the laundry can wait, and hey, a diaper wipe bath is sometimes just as good as a real bath for a 6 year old! Just take it easy :)
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 2:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I would find a moms group. I know some moms worry about exposing newborns, but usually the kids are on the floor so you'll have your infant out of sneeze shot. Its certainly better than losing it. Try meetup.com and search your local zip code. I know personally that there are several in that area so you'll probably even find one just for your parenting style. I used to go nuts if I was in the house too long and my mom's group kept me sane! Your 6 year old will be starting school soon, too. And I don't think any mom on earth should be responsible for anything but the care of their infant for the first 6 weeks if not 3 months!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 4:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2009