Lying

My son is 7 and I have a major problem. He lies about alot of things. Especially when it comes to making sure he has done his chores..He has gotton in trouble for lying to his teachers at school and he knows that he will get caught in the lie and still does it. Did you have this problem andwhat did you do. I don't know if something is going on or what. It is very frustratingl. I have taken things out of his room, made him earn in back, going to bed earlier (for school). I am at my witts end here. His dad had talked to him, I have talked to him and nothing is working. Thanks in advance.

momof1boy

Asked by momof1boy at 11:48 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter seems to react well to "I'm very disappointed in you for lying". She gets really sad about it. And though some people don't like it, we have "washed her mouth out with soap" before. In which I mean she has to hold a bar of soap in her mouth for a count of ten. Mind you, she doesn't lie very often and if she does she usually immediately tells me and apologizes. If she gets in trouble and it seems like she's lying I'll remind her that telling the truth will mean less of a punishment. If she tells the truth I tell her what her punishment would have been if she'd lied. We normally don't have a problem with lying though.
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 2:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Lying is somthing I do not tolerate at all! My 11 year old has tried to lie a few times and he was punished. I try to make it very clear to my kids that when you lie, you end up in more trouble than telling the truth.

When my son lied to us the 2 times and we knew the truth, he was grounded for 2 weeks and I even made him write me a letter as to why lying is wrong and where it gets you. Every time he would comment how bored he was or his friends were outside when he could not, i reminded him it was because he lied. It drove him nuts with no TV, no video games, and no nothing for 2 weeks.

I have not had an issue since then.
    TheWAHM

Answer by TheWAHM at 2:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I tell my son that god knows when he is lying and that he might punish him for it. He tells the truth after that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I had my daughter write an essay on why lying was not acceptable and how she thinks it made me feel to be lied to and how it made her sister feel (she let her sister take the blame for something) ...I made her hang it on her wall so she gets to look at it every day. We also had a conversation about it and why it wasn't acceptable and we read over the essay and discussed it.
    swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 3:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Lying in children this age is a control issue. I've addressed the issue with my 6yo and can recognize when he's lying (what mother can't *wink*). By discerning what the lie is covering up I realized he does it so as not to disappoint, he wants to be praised. What child or anyone for that matter doesn't want endless praise? Lying then, gives him control over the outcome, to get praise to not disappoint. No, I don't have a perfect child and yes, I was very frustrated and truly disappointed with the lies. But I had to tell myself to chill out and try to see life through his eyes. My humble advice is to relax first, then recognize and address the underlying issue, not the lie itself, as the best way of making it through this phase. Good luck!
    KnottyMomof1

Answer by KnottyMomof1 at 4:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• ugh stupid! soap can sufficate ur child!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2009