I think I'm behind schedule on the self feeding... Help!

My son is 10 months old and I still give him four 8 oz. bottles a day along with a jar of 3rd foods that I feed him myself from a spoon. We have not had any problems with this so far and he is gaining weight and growing at a very good pace.
But after consulting books, friends, and message boards I am starting to worry that we are far behind schedule with getting him to self feed. I try to give him small pieces of table food when we are out to dinner etc and he HATES it. He refuses to eat anything unless I am feeding it to him. He will eat baby cereal sometimes with his hands and I have tried to give him a sippy cup, but he just ends up turning it over and chewing on the bottom. He will hold his bottle on his own, but usually loses interest after 2 ounces so I end up holding it for him anyways.
What am I doing wrong?! I admit I'm feeling very lost in all this. Thank you for any advice!

Mr.FinnsMommy

Asked by Mr.FinnsMommy at 12:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when you go to feed him the jar food also put some finger foods that are safe down on the tray...it could encourage him to eat at the same time your feeding him!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Number one, DON'T STRESS! Kids do things on their own time, and when they are ready to do things. Continue offering finger foods that he could pick up and eat, he'll give it a try eventually.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• But after consulting books, friends, and message boards I am starting to worry that we are far behind schedule with getting him to self feed.

Mistake number one.

Do what works for YOUR child. If he hates it don't worry about it. It may be a texture thing. Keep offering finger foods. As he progresses he will try new things. Make a rule, try new things. That is really all you can do. Trust yourself momma, you are doing just fine.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I agree with the anon above. Forget the books, use your instinct.
    But, if you really want to get him to feed himself just keep offering food. He may or may not eat it without you feeding him but ALWAYS offer. Same with the sippy. Keep a sippy of water near by at all times and offer it after every few bites. Eventually he will figure it out.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Average is the average of a LARGE RANGE of kids. Some will self feed after year, some before. If you're child is eating, is happy, is gaining weight, then don't worry about it. He'll get it when he's ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• offer a variety of healthy foods, like avocado, baked sweet potato, peeled and seeded cucumber, steamed carrots, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 2:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Follow his lead. He'll let you know when he's ready for more self feeding. He's still young. I would not worry.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• at 11 months my son was the same way, now at 13 months no bottles, all sippy cup and usually eats on his own, try a bunch of different sippy cups it took me a while to figure out that he simply hated the sippy I was offering him, plus look at it this way, you won't be spoon feeding him at 13 years and if he takes a few extra months, well in the grand scheme of things that won't matter (O and my son never held the bottle on his own....ever)
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 4:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My son will be 10 months soon too. He picks things up with his fingers now. He does not like his sippy cup so I feed him from the bottle. He does like to drink his formula. He doesn't eat a lot of baby food, sometimes he eats half a jar and other times he will eat a whole jar. I don't force him to eat. I'm gonna give him finger food fruits more often now so he gets used to doing things himself. He won't really hold the spoon either. I'm not too worried. I know he will do it when he wants.
    Books are just a generalization of where the average baby should be. Everyones different.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2009