Does anyone have any advice on how to get my son to go to the potty?

He will be 3 in November and he seems interested, but not all the time. He loves to stand up and pee when he does go, but he want poop at all on the potty. I have tried stickers on potty, rewards, big boy underware. I just don't know what to do. I just thought he needed to be trained by 3 because he would be to old for pull-ups. Please help! Any new tricks I don't know about.

Amandacintron

Asked by Amandacintron at 12:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine will be 3 on October 4th and I'm trying to get her potty trained also. She was a 23 week preemie, so I don't know if she is a bit delayed in this area, but she seems to have no interest whatsoever in going potty like a big girl. Someone recently suggested offering her an M & M if she goes and see if that will motivate her. So, I think tomorrow, I will implement that and see if it works.
    The pooping usually comes later . My first 3 were a breeze to potty train, but the 2 boys, more so than the girl, were very reluctant to poop on the potty. Eventually they will, though. Good luck to you!
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I have always taken them to the potty every hour and half or so (I worked daycare with 2 year olds for 8 years) even if they don't have to go. Just get them to sit on the potty and I had a potty chart with a reward each time they went. We had sweet tarts-i undid the package so they only got one after they washed their hands. they also go a sticker on the chart if they had no accidents all day they would get a bigger prize either toy or cookie kind of thing. It always worked for me. I friend's little boy will be three this year and he completely refused to go poop on the potty he would tell you that he would pee in the potty but would not poop she bribed him with being able to play with his future stepdad's guitar!
    MrsWeathers

Answer by MrsWeathers at 12:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Mine was reading and tying her shoes (at four) before she was out of diapers...

Answer by rkoloms at 1:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i have a 3 year old and 2 two year olds that are all potty trained. i made it a game with all of them saying things like "oh you better not go on MY potty'" kids are simple they just want to disagree.
    momof4under4

Answer by momof4under4 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My mom and me have a method for potty training in ONE day! You get a toddler potty and a pee baby doll. You turn off all your phones and any other destractions lockign yourself in the kitchen. Than the WHOLE day you feed them light snacks and juice. Take the baby doll and show them the baby doll is using the potty making it a game and than continually put them on the potty saying your turn to go potty. You do this back and forth all day ONLY talking about "potty". Eventually they will get it all completely down and u can stop. Soemtimes it takes a few hours sometimes it takes all day. Once you think they got it down they are not allowed another diaper again and if they make an accident we make them clean it up making them not wanting to EVER do that again. Im doing this with my 2yr old very soon :) WOOHOO for no more diapers!
    EliseMichelle

Answer by EliseMichelle at 3:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2009