I know there are places where the kids go to school "year round" where are these districts and where do I have to move to put my kids in one?

I feel that 3 months off for summer is just stupid! I hated it as a kid and don't want to do it with my kids as an adult. They are not in school yet but I would like to start house shopping in areas where they will go "year round" I know those kids get longger vacations between periods and I think that is great! But this go 9months off for 3 crap is just horrid! And not needed today...

So, if your kids go all year, where are you? I'm moving in!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• im not positive but i think the only schools that do that are private ones you will have to pay tuition for....
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I know CA has year around school, they go 3 months and are off a month.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Kids need a break and I love summer and so do my kids, that' torture if they have to go all year long. Why did you even have kids if you can't stand being around them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Wake County, NC is mostly mandatory year round, and it has caused a major fight. The population is exploding, and so Wake County moved to year round, to "create more space for the kids". Except, they got rid of the trailers at the same time, the new ones that were perfectly functional, and so some schools created a grand total of 20 seats. Woo. In our area, people put their kids in private to avoid year round, which I would have done. Year round sounds so wonderful... until you realize that if you have two kids, you are NOT guaranteed to have them on the same track. And when you have one in middle and one in elementary, one is year round and one is traditional calendar.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• "Kids need a break and I love summer and so do my kids, that' torture if they have to go all year long. Why did you even have kids if you can't stand being around them?"

Kids that go to year round schools get just as much time off as kids who go to schools that get full time during the summer. Year round schools just don't get the full breaks at one time their breaks are more split up (a week here, two weeks there, etc etc) just so you know before you have a breakdown towards the OP.. I too would prefer my child to go to a year round school not because I don't want to be around him but the fact that in regular schools they forget so much over the summer (regardless of how much you spend trying to continue teaching them) and it can kinda make them lazy towards school work. So year round school ISN'T torture. Mind you.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• "Year round sounds so wonderful... until you realize that if you have two kids, you are NOT guaranteed to have them on the same track."

Most counties have two calendar schedules (three if you want to count private schools).. Year round and Traditional and they stick by this. So no you are not going to have some kids having this day off and others having that day off unless they are in two totally different school districts.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• The year round school my kids go to is called Homeschool. Love it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Germany. And and just so your know the kids still only go 180 days. Instead of three months off in the summer it's usually 6 weeks off and bigger breaks throughout the year. So if your thinking to save on babysitter or time off from work.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• In Chicago there are a handful of schools on a year 'round schedule.

As an alternative to moving, you can look into summer enrichment classes for your kids. The school counselor should have information. We have several friends who send their kids to writing classes at Kumon; many local colleges and universities offer summer classes for grades 7-12.

You can design your own summer learning program; there are lots of free resouces at libraries and online geared towards homeschoolers.

There are a lot of options.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My kid's go to a school where it is modified year round. They have 6 weeks in the summer, and an extra week in the spring and the fal,l so where other schools have 1 week spring break mine get 2.

They like it... they are so ready to go back when school starts. The only negative here is that we live in AZ...August is pretty darn hot, so if the temp is over 100 degrees they do inside recesses

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 1:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2009