Post-term baby...

I see a lot of moms on this web site who are concerned about their baby being overdue...and wanting to go into labor but no progress. A lot of moms will tell her the baby will come when he/she is ready. While that is good advice and no pregnancy on record has ever passed 44 weeks ( most births are induced by the 42nd week ), there are still risks associated with having a post-term baby just like there are risks associated with having a premature baby.
It's important to be induced if you are a few days-a week or so past your due date, depending on your baby's progress.
First off, studies show that 70% of "overdue" babies are not overdue at all. The due date or LMP was entirely miscalculated, and this is true of a lot of moms who have irregular menstrual cycles. Real post-term babies face risks of C-sections due to the baby being too large to pass through the pelvis, and thin, cracked skin.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Post-term babies also have difficulty recieving proper nourishment from the umbilical cord and the amniotic fluid level drops off, dangerously putting the baby at risk for not having enough fluid to thrive. Post-term babies may also be born with yellow or green staining to the skin due to passing meconium in utero. They also very often are born after difficult labors and sometimes need a NICU stay for monitering of jaundice and other conditions.
    My point is, babies shouldn't "always" come when they are "ready". Nobody wants a difficult labor, and everybody prays for a healthy child. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• They won't induce here unless you are at least 7 days past your due date or unless there are medical reasons to do so (and being uncomfortable is not a medical condition). You are not actually considered post term until after 42w, a full term baby is anywhere from 38 - 42w, which is something than many women do not know.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• This is where I have to call BS! The women in my family carry babies longer than average. My grandmother carried my mother 44 weeks, my mom carried my sister and I each over 42. And my DD was born at just shy of 43. We were all FINE. My DD weighed only 7lb 4.5oz at 43 wks, imagine how tiny she would've been at 40!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• there's a term for that ma2b08-anecdotal evidence.
    with that logic, you could say you smoked and drank every day while prego and had a normal healthy child. that'd be rare. you are so educated! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2009