How can I get my 14 mo son to gain weight!?

He has been on the verge of 20 lbs for months now. The doc. is not worried becuase he is porportional, but he started out average and is now in the 5th percentile!!!! Any ideas???

RomansMom25

Asked by RomansMom25 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• o my he needs some ensure n u need to talk with the dr n ask him if he can drink ensure or boost because that is little my son is 4 n a half months n he is 15 lbs
    jojosmommy24

Answer by jojosmommy24 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• and i think u need a second opinion from another dr for real i dont think this dr knows what he is talking abaout proportion has nothing to do with anything that is just looks he is suppost to weigh a certain amount of lbs for his hight n age n if he doesnt then there is a problem n that problem needs to be fixed go to another dr please!!
    jojosmommy24

Answer by jojosmommy24 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My dd is 16 mths and finaly hit 20lbs! She was from 1st percentile to 5th last check up but is completely healthy! Remember, weight is nothing but a number! If your doc says fine, then most likely is! My doc says she's light but totaly healthy! She eats 3 full meals and snacks in between! I was the same way when baby! Too bad I didn't stay that way lmao! Now I'm chunky! But don't push your child to eat! Don't give them extra fats for a quick fix! There is NOTGING wrong with being 4th percentile! Remember, this chart means your child is bigger than 4percent of children. So if their in the 90th, guess what, your child is bigger than 90percent of children!!! That does not sound healthy to me!
    So just keep feeding your child healthy! Don't worry about weight! Just look at all the children around you, that's what your child is being compared to!
    lovnmybaby

Answer by lovnmybaby at 1:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I forgot to add, when she was born, she was average too!
    lovnmybaby

Answer by lovnmybaby at 1:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Avocado Pudding
    2 avocado's peeled and pit removed
    1 tablespoon Coco Powder
    1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
    1/4 cup maple Syrup
    2 dates soaked (op)
    blend in blender till smooth
    Enjoy !

Answer by rkoloms at 1:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• We had to put our daughter on pediasure because she was losing weight and not gaining. It really helped :)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 2:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My DD is 18months & on her weight shes on the 10percent but, on hight shes on the 90 percent. Her dr. said she is healthy. She is thin I was worried for a long time because I was comparing her to the other kinds her age. Every child comes in different sizes. Her Dr. explain to me that is not good to have a heavy unhealthy child because it can lead to health problems. My DH & I are both thin too so thats were she gets it from.lol. If your 14mth old looks healthy & he is learning don't worry to much.. Make sure that he is eating healthy foods. If you wan't ask his Dr. if its ok to give him a daily vitamin. My daughter started eating more now that shes taking her vitamin. but, shes is still thin.lol Good Luck. Oh yeah whe she was born she was a big baby 8lbs 11oz.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My 13 month old is about 20 pounds. She was born 8 lbs 1 oz. She's healthy, but just skinny. Don't try to fatten up your child...just make sure you're feeding him full-fat, healthy foods. Good fats, like avocados.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• The percentile is not as important as his growth curve. If he's growing, he's healthy. The problem is when he starts to fall off the growth chart, by not gaining weight. Then again, young toddlers often don't gain a lot of weight because they are moving so much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• What most people don't remember is that when a child is this age they are more mobile and burning off more calories than they are taking in. My 13 mo weight 16 /12 pounds. She didn't even triple her birth weight by one. She is growing at her own rate and eats more than I do in a day. She eats healthy with not junk for snacks. Just keep giving your baby what you need to and they won't starve themselves. I don't think that we will be 20 pounds by 2. Just remember that the percentile doesn't mean anything unless you look at the growth curve.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2009