Should I put my 9 month old climber to sleep on a crib mattress on the floor of a safe room instead of in the crib?

My daughter is climbing and can get all the way to top and sit. I know she is going to fall out eventually if I dont do something. I dont want to use a crib tent because they're too dangerous and she is too young for a toddler bed because she rolls around in her sleep.

YoungTwinMommy

Asked by YoungTwinMommy at 12:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you lowered the crib to the lowest position?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• get a toddler bed with the safety rails to keep her from rolling out
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i think u should either put the matress on the floor like u said or if u have the money get the toddler bed with rails it wont be as ghetto lol
    jojosmommy24

Answer by jojosmommy24 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Yes the mattress is on the lowest setting. Her crib is convertible but I still think its too high of a fall. I'm not ecstatic about putting the mattress on the floor. I have the money to buy a shorter toddler bed, I am just worried about her climbing the rail and falling to the ground from that as well. I figure the mattress on the floor is the lowest distance for her to fall.

The problem is that she climbs everything but she doesnt know how to get down so she would have to fall if I dont get her down. I figured the mattress on the floor would solve the falling issue but I wasnt sure if there were any reasons why I shouldnt do it. We are definitely done with the crib. I even considered putting baby oil on the slats so she couldn't grip them to climb!
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 1:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• she might end up under the mattress in her sleep if its on the ground
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Did you try to put some socks on her feet? That'd make it more difficult for her to climb. Maybe you could place cushions around the crib just in case. The mattress on the floor isn't a bad idea, as long as her space is completely babyproofed and there's no way she could get hurt wandering around in the middle of the night or early morning.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• She rips the socks right off her feet! The room is 100% baby proof and we even had a child proofing consultant come out to do it since I have twins and cant be two places at once.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 4:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I'm going through that with my son and its been since around 8 months, so I put him to sleep in the pack n play in our bedroom and he did fine for awhile, then we went on vacation and he slept in bed with us, now thats all he wants to do. He's getting a toddler bed for his bday which is on Saturday (He'll be 1)

I tried the mattress on the floor and it didnt work the greatest.

I would seriously get the toddler bed and try that. Or pack n play. Its harder for them to get out of the pack n play.

Good Luck ;)
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• my little one is just like ur baby,sometimes i she will almost climb over the couch befor i catch her,but i got my lil one a toddler bed a long time ago,she sleeps with me at night(i know bad habit to start) but sleeps in her toddler bed for naps.mabe try a play pen for her to sleep in,they are a little bit taller then a crib
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• also i was worried my little one would fall from her toddler bed and she did twice,we showed her how to get down,feet first, just put something there to catch her fall.i know it kind of sounds mean,but that is how they learn.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2009