whats giving birth really like????

this is my first baby and Im so nervous Ive been having nightmares that its the worst pain...whats it really like my friend just had her first baby and had an epidural and said she couldnt feel a thing...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Everyone's birthing experiences are different, so it's hard to generalize what it is "really like", I think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I agree. Everyone's experiences are different, so it IS hard to just generalize what it's really like. Some people experience more pain than others, some people have more or less of a pain tolerance. I can tell that my personal experience was pretty horrendous....30 hours of labor, 7 hours of active labor and an emergency C-Section.....not exactly the birthing experience I was hoping for...but all so, so worth it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I had an epidural, but a lot of times, they turn it down while you're pushing so you can actually feel when to push and feel if you need to push harder. I'm not going to lie, it hurt like hell. The epidural did take away all feelings of contractions until the end, when it was time to push though. It's also extremely exhausting, you'll feel more exhausted than you ever have in your life. Maybe not right away, but it hits you like a truck lol. But you'll be fine. We've all gotten through it and survived. You will too.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 1:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I agree with everyone's birthing experience being different.

I had an amazing birth experience (my first, and only). I was in labor for 4hrs (no drugs) and pushed for 20mins. The feeling when my son was born...is out of this world...the rush of emotions and the "high"....is completely AMAZING!

I won't lie, labor is hard work and painful (they wouldn't call it labor if it was hard!). It's truely exhausting, but we can handle a lot more than we'd like to give ourselves credit for. Pushing felt extremely RELIEVING compared to labor, I felt literally NO pain when my son was actually being born, it was exhilerating!

Don't be scared. Be confident in your body and know that it knows how to do it's job. Try to relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. Research your options and educate yourself. Knowledge will be your best tool!

Good Luck Momma!

xoxo
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I have had 2 boys and I am preggo with my 3rd baby.. Its a girl! and my birth experiences were awesome! I have never had a contraction that I couldnt talk or breath through and they really didnt hurt that bad.. I got the epidural pushed them out and it was over.. But I dont think its like that for everyone because when I was in labor with my first one there was a girl in the next room who screamed like someone was killing her!! But I think its just ur tolerence for pain
    MommyOf3InATL

Answer by MommyOf3InATL at 4:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Awesome if you have an epi. =)
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 4:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2009