what is your best advise on potty training a puppy?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 1:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Pets

• Take the puppy out atleast every 20-30 minutes... When it has an accident, gently rub it's nose in the puddle and take it outside... When you leave I'd put it in a crate, or lock in a bathroom...

momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 1:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• when I had a puppy I bought these training pads that you just put on the floor and you place the puppy on it to try to get them to go pee and keep telling it this is were you go potty...took me a couple of weeks but it worked!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• The correct method to teach the dog to go outside is to crate train. Buy a crate that is big enough for the pup to stand, turn and sit back down. Any more room and the crate training will not work because he will be able to potty in a corner and sleep away from it. A dog will not potty where they have to lay down. So ideally when you cannot watch the dog he should be in the crate. Take the dog outside every 20 minutes to begin with. Praise when the dog potties. As the dog gets older you can increase the time in between potty breaks. IF you are home the dog should be in the same room as you. Do NOT give the dog any chances of pottying in home
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• First of all, Rubbing a dogs nose in its pee does NOT teach it not to pee. It only becomes confused and fearful. Not to mention its disgusting and unsanitary. Think about where that dogs nose touches. Second, training pads teaches a dog that it can go inside the house. Don't use them. .
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Personally we do the crate training. In addition to the crate being an aid in potty training it also helps keep the puppy out of things that could harm him. The crate also becomes a safe place for a dog to go as it gets older and doesn't want the kids to bother him. When the pup is not in the cage he should be with you at all times, a leash is a great way to remind your self he is attached to you. Our pup is now 3.5 months old and mainly housebroken.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 2:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Put the puppy in a crate at night and for naps, The rest of the time keep him on a leash tied to your belt loop and take him outside every half hour to 45 minutes. Give him a treat and lots of "Good puppy's" when he "goes" outside, even if it is by accident--which it mostly will be at first. Also take him out FIRST THING every time he wakes up--don't wait to go to the bathroom yourself, or grab a cup of coffee or anything, take that pup OUT! Fortunately this will only last a few weeks at most
    (It will also bond the puppy to you much better than anything else.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• get a border collie? lol I have had two border collies and had a doggie door, with both they just somehow knew to go outside, they were both puppies in summer time and backyard was big and fenced in so they liked it out there....... and when they got older I took down the doggie door and I have never had an accident..... sorry its not a better answer... O and fyi before someone points it out border collies can be horrible pets for the wrong person so I wasn't really serious.....
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 3:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• We don't believe in the crate training, it might work for some but I feel if I wouldn't put my child in one, I wouldn't put our dogs in one. It's like anything else, be consistent, take him out after each feeding, first thing when you get up and right before you go to bed. Dogs like routine. When our kids go to bed and I'm winding down for the night ours know it's time to go out. I give them about 15 minutes after they have eaten and then they go out. Ours eat 2 times/day, they are adult dogs now but when they were puppies I fed them 3 times/day. A doggy door is a good option if you have a fenced yard. And if you want to confine them to a space at night I suggest a baby gate and put it on your bathroom door, then they can't get into things but are still able to move around, and have access to a bowl of water. GL...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Dogs are not people. We do confine our children. You yourself mentioned a baby gate. Its simply a slightly larger confinement. Dogs like their crates once trained. It is a safe haven for them to go to.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Just wanted to add to the comment about putting your child in one (crate), did you put your baby in a crib or a playpen? some idea. A crib or playpen is used to confine a child to prevent them from getting hurt same as a crate. If you have children I would not recommend gating off a bathroom all you are doing is trading one potty mess for another.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2009