Food, Food and food

My three year old daughter weights 45 Ibs and i'm getting the feeling that it's not just baby fat. Last week I made her and her brother a hotdog and french fries for lunch and she ate the whole thing and wanted another one. When I told her no, she could have fruit she threw a fit... I find myself getting extremely angry with her when she tells me she's hungry when I know she isn't....when other people eat she begs for there food, or hangs around until it's gone and it's disgusting to me... (i hate to use those terms with a 3 year old). My dads side of the family is huge and I don't want that for my daughter. I cook heathy and stiill she out eat everyone... what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i'd talk to the doctor, there may be something wrong with her blood sugar
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Is she drinking enough water, she may be dehydrated.
    Are you putting the hot dog on white bread? Whole grain bread has much more fiber and is more filling. Instead of french fries, maked baked sweet potato fries (less fat, less calories, more fiber and other nutrients.
    Start every meal with a vegetable or salad; some carrot sticks with hummus or salad dressing to dip.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• You say you cook healthy, but really hot dog and fries insn't healthy UNLESS like PP said that it is whole wheat, a turkey dog and baked potato fries. Not trying to be harsh or bash here, so please don't be offended.

I start my kids meal w/ all their veggies, and a small amount of the meat/ starch. They can get more meat and rice/potato etc, when their veggies are mostly gone.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I agree with the first answer she could have a medical problem or lacking something in her body. I would take her to the doctor just to be safe because she could really be hungry and grow to resent you for not letting her have enough to eat.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 6:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• First, rule out medical issues. I'm assuming that you take your child for her regular doctor appointments. If they were concerned her doctor would have addressed it. Sometimes things are missed so asking on your next appointment might be wise. Perhaps having your concerns written out or calling the nurse and discussing it ahead of time to save time and avoid phrasing the concern in a way that leaves your daughter feeling bad. Second, do not let your daughter think or feel you are angry at her about her eating. That could lead to a life long problems with eating and disorders. Don't argue with her, period. Third, you are the parent. Control her portions. If she yells or throws a fit that is her problem. Why do you want to make it yours? Let her throw that fit. Don't deny her treats but do check out books on what portions are good for a three year old as well as foods. Make foods fun as well.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My daughter is 3 and does the samething. She is 38 inches tall and 50 pounds. I don't allow alot of sweets and I make her drink lots of water but she is a picky eater. And she is always saying she is hungry so I have started buying rice cakes and tell her she can have one of those. Its hard though because she always wants a ice cream cone. And its just the cone she doesn't want any icream in it. Or she will want a corn dog]and if she don't get it she throws a fit. So I have started just ignoreing her since I know she has eaten and can't be hungry.
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Ok after reading the other replies I feel like a bad Parent. I am going to call her doctor and ask them if someting could be medically wrong.
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 11:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• okay my daughter (now 4) is food obssessed as well. My response is to continue not to make a big deal out of it. I keep the food in our house healthy (with occasional cheats b/c I believe in moderation).
    AFTER eating her WHOLE meal she can have -- carrot sticks, celery, applesauce, yogurt, raisens etc.etc. (thses items are generally available)
    Yes... sometimes I get embarresed b/c man is she good at conning people out of snacks but I have no shame in telling people, no she just ate or I have her snack here and she's reached her junk food limit this week/day whatever...
    My daughter weighs almost 50 lb. she is 3 ft. 7" the dr. isn't overly concerned -- she is above the line in both height and weight so although 50 is alot for her age its not out of control for her height.

Also diff kids metabolise diff. her bro can eat about the same and just get taller.
    Oh, and I make sure she goes and runs around alot too.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2009