Is anyone else's school supply list this brand/type specific?

just a few examples:
2 Mead green wide ruled notebooks
2 Mead blue w r notebooks
2 green folders
2 blue folders
2 containers of dial soap
2 containers of clorox wipes

What difference does the brand the brand make, the color thing is irritating but the brand thing > who cares? What do you think does it really matter?

threeboysmama

Asked by threeboysmama at 1:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in

• my sons school is the same way and when my mom got him his school supplies she didnt buy the brand they said and he wasnt allowed to use them and i had to buy all new (last year)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Well, they are going to get what they get from me. I am not buying Clorox wipes when I can buy off brand that work just as well in my home. If this is public school, then tell them they either be happy with what they get or get it themselves. I have never seen any brand specific lists for my kids. I do understand the color thing. THey might have specific uses for the folders, but brands....they can get over that. Its not like they are going to tell them they cant come to school or anything. My girls are going to a private school and there were no brand specifics on there, but I will refute the argument that school supplies arent expensive. My girls both had lists that were a page long and my 10th grader had to have a TI 83/84 calculator for graphing in geometry. Cheapest one at walmart was $80. So..yeah, they are exepensive.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• That is ridiculous. I don't have a school age child, yet, but this would annoy me. What difference does it make if they are Clorox wipes or some other brand......what if you can't afford brand names? That's so frustrating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Our school is that way too It says x number of 'crayola" crayons. x number of elmers glue x bottles of Germx and if you bring in off brand they will gather them up and send the kid and the supplies home and tell you not to return the child until you can provide what they asked for (as far as the required items) the optional stuff they dont care about i guess!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• There is NO reason why you should HAVE to buy GermX or Clorox wipes or Crayola crayons or Elmers glue or whatever it is....there is absolutely NO reason why you should be forced to buy brand names....they can be expensive! That is ridiclous!
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 1:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I swear we should ask for all that stuff back at the end of the year too. My daughter said they just put it all in a closet and when she helped clean up the room at the end, the closet was still half full. I say divide what they don't use amongst the kids. I could use it for next year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Here they were specific about the glue, crayons, markers, and stuff like that. I bought what I could afford.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I guess I am kind of a product snob...with the exception of the wipes and the soap. When it comes to crayons and notebooks, there are just brands that hold up better. Mead, Crayola, and Roseart are the only brands I buy for my daughter. All of my notebooks for school are Five Star and my pens are Bic. They just work better in my opinion.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 7:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Oh and my gosh did I read a TI-83 for 80 bucks! I am soooooo jealous! Mine was 125 because it came with some sort of connector thing. I was told it was a requirement for my math class when I transfered....yeah we never used the graphing part at all.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 7:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My oldest son's list was that way. At registration I went in and talked to the teacher and asked why the specific brands. She told me because it seems like they work better and they prefer them. When I told her about our tight budget she informed me that I could by anything that was within my budget and not to worry about the hand sanitizer or the clorox wipes because there was plenty from last year.. So now my son doesn't have any of the name brand stuff but he does have all of his school supplies.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2009