School lists??

I am a homeschooling mom but I still pay my taxes to the school. So they get my money and 1 less student they have to pay for. So my question is why are they asking parents to bring soap, copy paper and cleaning wipes or hand sanitizer. Where is all of our tax money going??? They government is supposedly putting money into our school system so why do we have to bring cleaning supplies? I know in Oklahoma (where I live) they started the lottery a couple of years ago to put money into the schools but they are still asking for these kinds of things on our school lists. I know lots of our schools here put so much money into sports it is ridiculous. Am I the only one frustrated by this????

Frogbaby83

Asked by Frogbaby83 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in

• I homeschool 3 kids and still pay taxes. I'm not upset, I'm sad that the schools seem to have lost their priorities. Athletic teams get new uniforms while many classrooms have antiquated textbooks IF they have any at all. The school superintendent has one of the most expensive homes in town while teachers make crap and classroom aides are cut. Our town is dying from lack of jobs yet the school actually asked for a millage proposal for a new gymnasium complete with Olympic size swimming pool (it failed miserably, any surprise?) WHERE ARE THE PRIORITIES?

You know, maybe communities should start academic booster clubs just like they have athletic booster clubs. They could raise money by doing fundraisers and then buy all the supplies the kids would need, buy updated textbooks, etc. Does anyone's community do that?
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• we even had light bulbs last year
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i live in oklahoma too, i ask my childs teacher why they want all that and she told me they ask for it because by half way through the year the school is out of everything and they ask for it so they have stuff for the kids to clean up with after crafts. i think is crazy too but i bought it anyway
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 2:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My kids are in public schools and this year when we went back to school the list was even longer than normal! They asked for hand sanitizer, hand soap for bathroom use, brown paper bags, and 5 or 6 other things. I was rather shocked.

The other part of the list asked for regular supplies and some new stuff. I was shocked when I wrote my daughters name on her supplies and the teacher asked me not to do it again! As all supplies are shared!

What do you mean shared? I buy stuff for my kids not for the entire class to use.

Then my sons health teacher said the first day of school they did not even have text books yet! He said what they had last year were from 95 and outdated and becuase of the budget had not got any more books yet!
    TheWAHM

Answer by TheWAHM at 2:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• If you home school why worry about what the public schools do? Retired people and people without kids pay taxes too. That's the way it works.

The schools ask for the supplies so they can do as much possible with the kids.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Are you serious anon 2:49???? It is still my money and my problem is with how the government is handling it. I am not complaining that I have to pay the taxes even though my children do not attend the school. I made the choice to home school and if I have to pay taxes that fine! Should I not worry about how the government spends my tax money?? I guess I shouldn't care how they use my tax money on anything.

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• If you want to know go to a school board meeting and and ask to see a budget. It's no secret how they spend the money. Running a school takes millions of dollars and people underestimate how much it costs all the time. I've actually read my school's budget and the money is accounted for to the cent.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I hate the list. I hate that I have to shell out over two hundred dollars for my kids each year for supplies that they don't even get to keep. I remember in the days I went to school, on our first day, our teachers gave us a list of stuff we should bring for their classes and our parents went out and bought what we needed. Not only has everything gone up--annual fees, lunches and breakfasts, but the schools suck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It is fantastic how much money can be put into two losing football teams, two losing baseball teams, two losing softball teams, and two semi-decent basketball teams. Every year they have new uniforms that the school district purchased. I mean this is not at all a new thing. I graduated high school in 2003. I remember having to purchase my AP United States History book because the school district could not afford to buy them for the class. My teacher said "well I guess they want to prepare you all for college by forcing you to buy these books." The other books we could have used ended with the 1980 election. "Reagan won!" was the name of the last chapter. I had to go back to my high school to interview the most influential teacher that we had (it was for Foundations of American Education, an education course for future teachers), I interviewed my economics teacher, most rad guy I know, still using the Reagan books.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 7:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• The reason the schools are asking for those items is because the feds and state keep cutting the education budgets, so parents need to help out with things their children use. Would you rather the schools spend the money on those items or on quality teachers,heat, electric, water, etc. If you don't like having to pay taxes for something you aren't using, then run for a government office and try to change the laws.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2009