state law for apartments in MA

ive been looking for a one bedroom for me and my 11 month old daughter and my bf. and i went to one apartment and they told me i need to get a 2 bedroom when my daughter reaches 18 months.. i was told thats a state law? i cant have my daughter share a room with me? i wasnt planning on sharingn a room for long just untill i can afford a 2 bedroom.. has anyone heard of this law becuase i never have and thinks its ridiculous

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, i havent. I live in MA and we have 2 kids, boys, and we have a 2 bedroom. But look up the laws in MA because i never heard of that one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Nanny state getting bigger and making laws "for our own good" in unexpected little areas. Creeping socialism, one rather insignificant little detail at a time. We aren't there yet, but remember it only took one last straw to break the camel's back. By the time you see it, it's too late.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• eye rollingNutcases: beware they are everywhere.To anon 2:26.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• You can google your state laws. Many states have occupancy laws which dictate how many people can live in an apartment or house. Three people in a one bedroom is usually not allowed, so I wouldn't be surprised. Most people, even landlords, aren't aware of the laws in their city or state.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It's not a bad law. A child at that age should have her own room. It's one thing to share with a baby, but another to share with a toddler. Can you sign a 7 month lease so you can move right around the time she's 18 months?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I think it is just a way to hurt the little people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Maybe it's a safety hazard thing? Try Googling it. However, how would they know who's sleeping in the room and who's not? For all they know, you could be giving your daughter the room and you and your BF sleep on a pull-out couch or something.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Anon 3:00 PM. Have you considered that maybe they can't afford the 2 bedroom apartment? It's entirely possible. Where do you live when you can't afford more?
    '
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2009