Do you have chores for your child to do daily? What are they?

I have no chores for my son and I dont really have any rules either. I am a single mom and it just seems easier that way but I know that this kinda stuff wont help him in the future.

Maybe your chore list will help me come up with one for my son :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The only chores they do daily is keep their toys and clothes pick up. Their other chores they do when they need to be done or if I ask them to do it. They are, but not limited to:
    putting dirty dishes in the sink, clean up the table after eating, sweep the floors, dust, empty the dishwasher, put dirty clothes in hamper, bring hamper to basement, do laundry (my 9 and almost 8 year olds now do their own), fold and put away clean clothes, mop with the swiffer, clean the toilet (new for my 9yo), take out the trash, help bring in groceries, keep the yard toys picked up and trash out of our front yard, hang towels up after using (still working on this one), keep shoes in the cubbies by the door and coats/sweaters hung up. Basically I'm teaching them to take care of themselves because some day they will have to and they still have plenty of time to play (they are swimming right now).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• 6 years old

make bed
    fold and put away his clothes on laundry day
    sets table for dinner
    helps clear table after dinner
    cleans room every night/picks up toys from other areas of house and puts them away
    hangs up bathroom towels after bath
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I just recently started a chorelist for my 7 year old. She will wipe our glass coffeetable down, restock our bathrooms (we have three) with bathroom tissue, vacuum the stairs with a handvacuum, clean the cars with a handvacuum, sweep the kitchen floor, set the table, clear the table and help with dishes. I plan to add more when she is ready. We have the choreslist hanging on our fridge, and whenever she does one, she draws an X by the chore and at the end of the week, we add up how much money she earned total. Payment ranges from $0.25-$1 for the bigger jobs. On average she earns about 3-4 dollars a week, which is her allowance.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 5:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I'm also a single Mom, I have a 7 and 3 year old. Both of my boys have to do the following: Pick up after themselves, make sure all dirty clothes are in the hamper (I will NOT go in their room to pick up their dirty clothes when doing laundry), hang up wet towels after shower (I make sure my 3 year old helps me), make sure all toys/games are not in the livingroom on a daily basis. My 7 year old also has to clear his place after every meal (my 3 yr old has started doing this because he copies his brother) and he cleans the toilet in their bathroom. He likes to vaccuum so sometimes he will do that but I don't require him to. My 3 year old now likes to help set the table but that is not required.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My kids are 3 & 5. The 5 yr old has more responsibility than the 3 yr old. Both kids clear their plates, and usually clear ours, and put them in the dishwasher. DS1 helps me empty the dishwasher. We rotate feeding the dog and letting him out. They help carry in groceries, and DS1 puts away his own laundry. They also tidy their toys every night and some afternoons. The boys also rotate setting the table but DS1 does it more often.

As they get older we'll add polishing furniture, cleaning the counters and dusting to the list. Plus once DS1 is off to 1st grade next year, he'll be making his own lunch every day.

HTH!
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My child is a spoiled cow! She does no chores and it is starting to piss me off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• daughter is 5..

she has to pick up all her toys before bed every night..put her dirty dishes in the sink..put her dirty clothes in the laundry basket..feeds her fish, and helps with the dogs..

she also likes to help with emptying the dishwasher, sweeping and mopping..but she does it for fun, not because she HAS to..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:06 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my son is 8...he has to pick up his toys, vaccuum and dust his room AND the toy room, clean his bathroom (minus the tub, unless I just ask him to help), ut his dishes in the sink and rinse them at least, wipe the table and clear it after dinner. I just added a new chore: pulling the weeds.

My 10 month old takes her dirty diaper bag to the trash and does laundry....Just kidding! I wish
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:15 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My kids (now 8, 9 and 11) started doing chores when I was a single mom - because I just couldn't do it working all kinds of crazy hours and the house too! My kids put away their clothes (I have a table in the hallway where I fold their clothes and put them in stacks, they pick up their stack and put them in their drawers), they each have a night where they sweep the kitchen floor after supper and wipe down the table and take out the trash, weekly they vacuum their own room and one more room of my choice, and they each have a part of their bathroom to clean (rotated among them). They also make their beds on Friday mornings before they go to their dad's on the weekend, so the house looks nice. Every other week, they change the sheets on their bed - I have to help them a little with this so the sheets will go back on straight, but we're working on it.

Answer by missanc at 9:08 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• oh - and for their allowance it's an all or nothing thing. Either ALL their chores are done and they get $2/week to spend and $2 put in their savings account, or they get nothing.

Answer by missanc at 9:10 AM on Aug. 10, 2009