How can I get my 7 week old to go to sleep in the middle of the night?

My little girl is about 7 weeks old, and she is normally a very good sleeper...however the last couple of nights she has wanted to stay awake until 3 or 4am! This is a new development, will it last? We've tried a lot of things like rocking while listening to lullabyes, walking around, white noise...and all these usually work, but when we lay her down she is instantly awake...any advice???

SavvySara

Asked by SavvySara at 2:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 2:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Aren't u feeding her during the night? She will probably want some food and maybe going through a growth spurt.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 2:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My daughter was eight months old before she slept six solid hours. Your daughter is normal, feed her when she's hungry, hold her when she cries, enjoy her!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Heh heh...sleep is the Holy Grail of parenting, and you'll have an easier time finding the real Grail.

It's normal for them to wak in the middle of the night. Feed, change, put back to bed.

And kiss eight hours a night goodbye for a while. **grin** Five hours is sleeping through the night for an infant.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Try swaddling her and make sure she has a full belly before bed establish a bedtime routine too. I also think it's a growth spurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Of course we are feeding her during the night, knowing she is hungry is the easy one. She normally sleeps between 3-6 hours spurts during the night, but the last couple of nights she has been awake from about 11p until 3am...usually she falls right to sleep after she eats during the night. I am thinking it might be a growth spurt! Thanks for the advice moms! Keep it coming! :)
    SavvySara

Answer by SavvySara at 9:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2009