2 Year Old Refuses Milk, What can I do?

My son who is 23 months old has been on a soy based formula since he weaned from breastmilk at 12 months. I have tried for months to get him to make the move to milk and he will not. Since he was on a soy formula I thought maybe soy milk, but he will not touch it either. I have bought every brand of soy milk I can find and he spits it out.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how were you able to get your baby to accept the new milk?

TheWAHM

Asked by TheWAHM at 2:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try him on skim milk

Answer by admckenzie at 2:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Try mixing whole milk in with his soy formula. Like, 6oz soy formula, 2oz milk... and gradually decrease the formula and increase the milk until he is on whole milk. Truthfully, milk is not really necessary at this age. You'll just need to make sure he is getting the nutrients from another source. Like cheese, yougurt, etc. Perhaps you can add vitamins to his diet if he's a really picky eater.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Add milk to his food as much as possible. Cheese. Yogurt.

Answer by Bmat at 2:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I wish I could help. I am on the opposite side of the spectrum. My daughter likes milk too much and I was told I need to cut back on her consumption. Good luck, momma =)
    teach.1024

Answer by teach.1024 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• same here hes addicted almost two n kind of drinks them liek hes a baby!!!lol try chocolate milk but dilute it with regular white milk!
    mamabear0824

Answer by mamabear0824 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i would not give my 2 year old chocolate milk - too much sugar. My middle two children don't drink milk - never liked it, but they eat tons of yogurt and cheese. My doc said not to worry as long as they are getting some form of calcium, they don't have to get it from milk.

Answer by missanc at 3:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Don't worry about it! He only needs to drink water. If you are worried about him getting enough good fats, here are some great sources: egg yolk, avocado, olive oil, flax oil, etc. If you are worried about him getting enough calcium, there are green leafy vegetables, chickpeas, yogurt, etc. Here is a great article on healthy bones: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 3:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Thanks soooo much for the replies! I never even though of trying skim milk or mixing milk into the formula! He does not really drink anything else, which is why I was worried. I can get him to drink a few ounces of water a day but that is it. I do not want him on juice becuase of the sugars.
    TheWAHM

Answer by TheWAHM at 5:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I agree with adding the milk to the formula, but I do have a question....is he on soy formula for a specific reason? Maybe try mixing SOYmilk with the formula if he's on soy for a reason (I only drink soy, my system won't tolerate cow's milk or lactaid type products). You could also water down the milk/soymilk. Good luck :)
    mnalisa92

Answer by mnalisa92 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• He was put on soy formula when we stopped nursing. He was having a hard time with regular formulas so the doc had me try the soy formula, which he did fine with.
    TheWAHM

Answer by TheWAHM at 9:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2009