need some advise for my son who has temperal lob seizers (epilepsy)

my son been diagnosed with temperal lob seizers other wise known as a form of epilepsy. My problem with him right know is he likes to hit & throw things. I tell him no, slap his hand,& even sit him down but he gets up. His communication skills are not good either when he wants something he always points at things & it's hard to tell what he wants, he'll just keep on going untill he gets what it was he wanted. He has been asest for adhd & is taking meds for that as well as meds to help him with his seizers. But the adhd meds are not working the dr. won't change him untill he is a bit older. What i need help with is trying to figure out a way to help him communicate better with the family so we know what it is he wants, or needs. As well as a way to help the family deal with & understand what it is he has & what we need to do as a family to get through it all. we just need moral surport in this to help get us through it all.

mom_in_need75

Asked by mom_in_need75 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Health

• How old is your son? Can he write?

If he CAN write, try using a magnetic Doodle Pad for him to write a key word of what he wants.

If he cannot write, try creating your own Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS), which is used for non-verbal children and adults to help them learn to speak and communicate their wants. You can take a bunch of digital pictures of things he may want/need throughout your home or his day, print them, and tape on paper, put in a small 3-ring binder.

PECS examples would include: Steps for getting dressed--shirts, pants, socks, shoes; Steps for hygiene--toileting, grooming, bathing, brushing teeth; Eating--specific foods, snacks and treats, refrigerator, toaster, oven pictures; Going to school--bus, car, walk; Homework; Recreation-playground, swimming, arts and crafts, etc.

He would use the pictures to tell you what he wants. You reinforce bu teaching him the words for the pictures.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• More information on the PECS system:

http://www.polyxo.com/visualsupport/makingpecs.html

Both of my children have mild autism, and until they learned to talk the PECS system was teh MOST helpful tool--they were able to communicate, and it GREATLY reduced the frustration in trying to understand them.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2009