so when you became a Christian.......

Did you give up everything you had once liked? such as certain movies, music, magazines, books? My friend will not read, listen, or watch anything that is not of God, which is fine its her choice. but I was curious as to why she still can't enjoy the things she used to. so if you did give up everything why? and are Christians who don't give up everything not true Christians? how does that work? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It really isn't like that, for me I stopped LIKING things that I used to like. Ex. things started to gross me out and make me feel uncomfortable.

My heart changed, not my outward behavior.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• ditto to above
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I was saved at a young age, 4, so I really had nothing to give up. But I grew up trying to make the right decisions on what my eyes should see and ears should hear (where movies and music are concerned). My college roommate on the other hand was saved while a junior in high school and had already been through a lot of junk in her life. For her some songs and movies I felt were fine were not fine to her. This was because she could relate them to something in her past and she did not what to think or dwell on those times. Maybe this is the case with your friend?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• For me some things were gradual and other was not .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• What we choose to believe in is up to us, but once you find yourself in a safe place in your faith and are not afraid, it will be easier, to let go of things. We let go of things, because we choose to, not because we are told to. The amount of things that you are to give up is up to you and no one has to tell you, what to give and take.
    Me as a mother of 3 gave up a lot to keep my childen safe, but, at the same time put up with a lot to keep them safe as well.
    Everyone has their own situations and ordeals, they just need to be encouraged to pull through.
    One more thing just because you give up certain things of your choice does not make you any different or holyer than anyone else.
    BakingForFun

Answer by BakingForFun at 3:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

------------------------------------------------------
    Amen, Cinnamon!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I think people also change their likes, dislikes and attitudes as they grow and mature. You don't need religion to learn from your mistakes and better yourself.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• For me it's not so much a giving up, like you can't do that, you can't do this. I just don't find the enjoyment that I used to in certain things. But I have found enjoyment in other things that I wouldn't have without my faith.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I'm not Christian, but am Buddhist, which also encourages practitioners to avoid certain things (alcohol/drugs, meat, irresponsible sexuality, etc.) However there is no attitude of 'you MUST avoid this, it's evil!'- there is an assumption that you will of your own accord choose to avoid some things as you progress along your path. I am now a full vegetarian, for example, but don't feel that I HAD to give up meat... I found that as I practiced compassion and saw interconnectedness I no longer enjoyed eating meat and WANTED to give it up. Likewise some activities I used to do, like faishing. Even catch and release fishing I no longer enjoy.
    I do think that some people give up everything because they feel they SHOULD and not because they actually have stopped liking them. I do think there is wisdom in allowing your growth to proceed without making everything automatically taboo. But that's just what has worked for me.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I used to like lots of stuff- pot, alcahol, dirty jokes (and comedians), cussing ect . and to tell the truth I was saved when I did most of that stuff just out of church, now that Im back in church, I cant imagine doing any of that stuff, not because I cant but becase I dont want too! I dont enjoy it and it makes me feel very uncomfterble
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2009