Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can he do this?

The father of my child attacked me and that is how I got pregnant. He has been really obsessed with me and I am afraid that once the baby is born he will try to get full custody or take the child. We live in two totally different states and he has a record and is wanted in three states. He is still bothering me but I never respond I am trying to make him think that I have fallen off the face of the earth and the calls and emails are starting to get less and less. What I am asking though will he be able to have rights and take my child because I am worried about my safety and my future child. I am getting a VPO and I have all the emails and phone records and everything you could think of. I am trying to do what ever it takes to make sure that he is not coming near this child. My child does not deserve to have a loser in his or her life.

Answer Question

Asked by crazypinkzebra at 2:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • keep emails and messages and go file for a protection order....

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • It depends on what state you're in. Where I'm from if you're not married then the father has no custody of the child, he would have to take u to court. It doesn't sound like he'd ever get custody of your child anyways. So I personally wouldn't worry about it. Good luck though!!

    Answer by Deidra08 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • You should ask an attorney who specializes in this. If you didn't file criminal charges after the attack, it may turn into a he said/she said, and he may be able to get visitation, if not custody. Even his warrants might not be enough to deny visits, depending on what they are for. Keep documenting everything and tape any phone conversations if they happen.

    If he's wanted in three states, have you thought about reporting his whereabouts to those states?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • You can press charges and PROVE through DNA that he "attacked" you. A violent crime can remove his parental rights in some states!

    Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 3:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • in a alot of states there is a very obscure law that states that if you are not married in order to have rights to the child the father has to register and has to show proof that he has been supporting the baby from the begginning I dont know all the details and this may only be for addoption perposes idk but look it up

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • If you know he is wanted in 3 states then you have to turn him in or you are aiding and abetting him and you can go to jail. If he's in jail he can't get custody. Turn his ass in NOW to all 3 states.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • is dna going to prove anything? He might just say it was consensual and she changed her mind. Again, he said/she said. OP...did you press charges and get a rape kit when it happened? What came of it?

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.