How do you put red highlights on black hair?

I just dyed my hair black and I want bright red highlights. How would I go about doing this. I will be doing this at home so don't suggest a salon. Also My hair isn't to well with holding color. Last time I got ighlights they came out in 3 days just for an example...

ZachsMom325

Asked by ZachsMom325 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• u have to strip the sections that u want red and then put the red dye on
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• What would be the easiest way to strip it?
    ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• um u just need a basic bleaching kit to take all of the color off, be careful not get the rest of ur hair.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Would the cap or foil strips be better to use?
    ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• foil, you will probably want to do them a lil thicker than the cap allows otherwise u will not be able to see them if they are too thin.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Also how long should I wait to bleach my hair? I just dyed it today
    and How long should I wait to dye it red after I bleach it?
    What kind of red would you recommend? I want a bright red

Thanks sorry for all the questions I just want it to turn out right..
    ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Look at the pack of the black hair dye it should tell you how long you have to wait before you can bleach it.

After you bleach it when you wash the bleach out blowdry your hair and apply the red color.

Bright red looks great to black hair (I had that style too a few years ago) but whenever I used bright red after 2 times washing it was just orange! I had to put new red color on once a week!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 3:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Um well u r gonna want to dye the bleached parts red as soon as the hair is dry. Only because u r gonna look funny with the white streaks. You can bleach ur hair in about 2 days, wait for the black to wash off a lil bit. I find it really hard finding a nice bright red, u may want to go to the salon and ask for their advice or if u can buy some from them. Just make sure the red u choose will compliment the black dont get something that has a lot of orange that looks tacky. U want a really vibrant and rich red.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Yeah, the only thing about putting anything bright in your hair is that you can't wash it as often because it'll wash out. And you might want to wait at least a few weeks, trust me. If you overprocess your hair with too many chemicals (bleach being the worst on your hair), it'll end up breaking and falling out like mine did. I dyed my hair black, bleached it in parts, and put hot pink streaks over the bleach back in high school. It looked AWESOME, but it made me go nearly bald. My hair has never recovered, and no matter how often I dyed it, the bleach wouldn't come out. It had to grow out of my hair, it really sucked.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• OH, and Manic Panic makes some of the best alternative hair dye colors. I absolutely looooove them. You can get it at Sally's.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2009