Being passed AGAIN for a promotion

I work in retail, So of course theirs Management galore. So New positions where posted (a 3 dollar raise)I put in for it along with 2 other pple all management of course I am not,so I didn't get interviewed I was pissed I asked why they gave some half a$$ed excuse that they only got the selected applicants. I'm more then qualified argh I work my a$$ off only to be passed over by someone who already makes 13.00-18.00$ an hour, as the only one making the income it could have helped, so Why is it these "managers" suddenly got the positions they wanted while everyone else who applied didn't get interviewed? I'm so close to quitting but got told to "stick with it" for the Opportunities (f%$#@!S) I've busted my ass for 5 years & exceed so should I find something else or just say bugger off. I got bypassed 3 other times it always went to the manager that wanted the position. Quit or stay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• Stay! You really don't want to have to start all over again with another company only to find yourself in the same situation. That's not to say that you can't do better, but you have already invested so much of your time here, I would stick with it. My husband was in your situation once. He also works retail and was a store manager for another company. He had to start all over when he started with the company he works for now. He was doing awesome and was always told how great he was doing, yet people who were not as awesome as he was kept getting promoted. He took it all in stride, but I was offended for him because I knew how good he was (I worked for the same company and knew that some of these others were no where near as good). It really seemed to me that they gave promotions to people with the most time in first. Finally he got his promotion, I'm sure they are wondering why they didn't do it earlier! Hang in there
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Well, look at it this way. If a manager moves up, that opens up a management spot you can apply for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I'd go higher up above the stores head let them know wtf is going on Because if you work for the same company I do and those "new" positions came up Like they did in our store EVERYONE got interviewed even the maintenance guy the "management" there seems Like they're shoddy That's not good ethics for a big chain like them. I'd call home office for sure! Your not a minority are you?
    vikings_beauty

Answer by vikings_beauty at 3:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It is definitely time to begin a stealth job search.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I only want to know because that company says they want DIVERSITY but I beg to differ after seeing so much crap over the years I'm close to quitting to go back to finish school I'm fed up with the way the hard workers get bypassed and you got desk toads moving up. They tell us to make sure we don't get any " wrong type" to move up because more or less they're not reliable due to stereotypes....I'd call above their heads.
    vikings_beauty

Answer by vikings_beauty at 3:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Be a stay at home Mom!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2009