Two year old talking?

I was wondering if it was normal for my two year old to have like no vocab? My oldest talked more but he was also in daycare but Dakotah just yells and cries and whines to get his way, my husband and I both tell him what needs to be said and we keep repeating ourselves but I am concerned.

shannon82

Asked by shannon82 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was speaking in complete sentences at 18 months. There may be nothing wrong, but if there is an issue, early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• myabe you should get her check out. my nephew wa slike taht and he ended up having speech theraphy. my dd is 29 mts but ever since she hit 10 mts she is been a talker.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Did you go for the 2 year old check-up??? I would talk to your pediatrician about it!
    My daughter is 23 months and speaks about 50 words. That's less then she should but she's growing up bilingual.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 3:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My son got speech therapy at 18months when he was not talking now he says about 50 words at 2yrs old. You should see if you have early steps in your area its a great program! If you cant afford speech therapy they pay for it. If they dont have early steps im sure they have a program like it. Call your department of children and families to find out.
    EliseMichelle

Answer by EliseMichelle at 3:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I'm not going to jump on the my child talked at 3 months bandwagon Because I've been there too...I wouldn't worry too much about it some kids are slow talkers more boys then girls, girls are wired to be chatty like their older counterparts :) Boys are more aobe average in motorskills I got a 4 year old son who didn't talk much at two if at all around 3 and a half he started he's smart as a cookie but just don't got much to say. Plus if mom and dad are giving him what he wants before he can vocalize it( we did that to) he can't very well learn. Let pple keep putting when THEIR child was talking but ignore girls are just talkers in general, but I agree if your worried ask your ped. Some boys just don't have much to say like My son. But remember when you get them talking you'll want them to stop My 4 year old niece talks too much lol. Good luck!
    vikings_beauty

Answer by vikings_beauty at 3:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Since you're clearly concerned, have him evaluated by your state's Early Intervention (or equilvalent program). In some states, the services are completely free. In others, they're based on size of family and income. My son started at 18 months and by 2 had more than 100 words. It worked wonders for him. Your pediatrician's office should be able to point you to the right number to call but your states child services group should be able to as well. You might also check your state's web site. Ours (new Jersey) had lots of information.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• thanks for all your answers and suggestions I am going to look into the speech therapy seeing as how I keep telling him the words he needs to say and he still just whines and cries and yells.
    shannon82

Answer by shannon82 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Every child is different. My cousin is 2 and a half speaks English and Spanish perfectly! Like a grown up attitude and all! lol

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 8:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My son is a whole different story but he is only 16 months! lol
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 8:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My pedi told me the standard is one word "sentences" at one, two word "sentences" by two... and so on. If your son really isn't talking you may want to ask his doctor about it. He could be perfectly fine, but if there is a problem early intervention may work really well.

0Jenna0

Answer by 0Jenna0 at 8:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2009