Paternal grandmother wants my baby's ssn

My sons grandmother occasionally asks for his ssn for some reason. first she wanted it so that she could start life insurance for him. I did it myself. Now she says that she wants it so that she can open a savings bond for him. I don't feel comfortable giving it to her but on the other hand I don't want him to miss out on a savings bond because of me. How should I handle the situation?

Queentdi

Asked by Queentdi at 4:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• do some research before, maybe you could go with her to open the bond??? i wouldnt give my childrens ssn to anybody.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• if she wants to do it why not go and do it with her. not only will you feel more comfortable but you can have a hand in it as well

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I agree. You don't have to tell her that you don't want to give her the ssn if you think it will hurt her feelings. Tell her that you think opening a savings bond is a great idea, and that you would like to go with her to do it. Its kind of weird that she keeps coming up with reason to get your baby's ssn though.
    MrsJacqueline

Answer by MrsJacqueline at 4:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Ok how does this sound? "I don't feel comfortable giving his ssn out, so do you mind if I go along?" If
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 4:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• She doesn't need to have his SS number to buy a bond. She also doesn't need to buy insurance on him either. No one should have his SS but you, hubby and your child.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• To MrsJacqueline: I think she wants it so that she can give it to his dad. I didn't let him file our son on his taxes last year because he didn't help out financially when i was pregnant. The ss card was sent to me and he doesn't have the number and he knows that I'm not going to give it to him.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 4:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• To anonymous: Thanks because my next question was going to be if you need a ssn to get a savings bond. I don't even know what a bond is for.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 4:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Tell her to open a bank acct in her name with him as the beneficiary. She only needs his name for that. I would not give out an SSN to anyone, even my own mother

Answer by admckenzie at 4:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Did you know that if you buy a savings bond for somebody else you can use your own ssn? I worked at a Credit Union before being a mommy. I did bonds for people all the time. They asked the same question about ssn. I don't feel comfortable giving people ssn either. Let her know she may use her own ssn and that it does not print the whole ssn on the front of the bond. When you chilld goes to cash out the bond they will sign the back of the bond and put their own ssn on it.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My grandpa has asked me for both of my kids ssn. He has opened up these special college bonds for both my kids. He also had/has mine and my 4 siblings. Up until I turned 18 I got a minimum of 2 savings bonds a year (same with my siblings).

If you think the grandma is going to use it for bad things.. Then dont do it. Ask her to maybe send you the money and you will put it into the bonds instead.
    ballerina_06

Answer by ballerina_06 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2009