ummm...confused

Ok so my mom told me that I should let my son cry some and that I should not pick him up a lot. Today I thought my son was having teething issues so I am trying every thing under the sun to calm him down and try to get housework done. I let him cry a bit but come to find out he just had gas. So now I feel bad that I let him cry unnecessarily.

I know you cant hold ur baby 24-7 but is she right to let him cry some things out...he is only 5 months. I disagree with her but I am a first time mom...am I missing something?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 4:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You'll get different opinions on the CIO method. I allow my children to cry it out, sometimes you just can't do anything else for them, like when they have gas...what can you do?? And sometimes they just cry for attention. I have a 5 month old too and I seriously think they are at that age where they start learning that their cry will bring them attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• 5 months is way too young to let a baby cry it out. Hold him or wear him (sling, backpack, front carrier, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Yes, you will get different opinions on this subject. Some people believe that babies should be held all day long, and others are completely opposite. Me...I am in between I guess. My 6 months old daughter likes tummy time, but she also likes to sit with me sometimes, so I try to do a little bit of both. I think it's important for kids to learn to be independent and that they are not a part of mommy, that they are their own person, but they also need love and nuturing from their family.
    Just follow your heart and do what you feel is best.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 5:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• CIO should never be used for a child under 6 months...never, its awful and the children only know of one way to communicate their needs, thats crying. Even if that need is comfort it is your job to give it. A child that young doesn't know how to manipulate you, they only know their wants and needs.

Crying is not bad for a minute or two, if you need to use the bathroom or while youa re changing him etc....crying for long periods of time can be detrimental to a young child.

Buy a sling and wear your baby while doing housework. Put baby in a bouncer/swing etc and keep baby near you. Baby is teething and NEEDS comfort....
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• While I don't think there is anything wrong with letting you baby cry a little bit if you have tried everything already... sometimes you have to put them down! (how else are you going to to use the bathroom?) If you baby is just fussing... let your baby fuss and whine. If you baby is crying then go ahead and hold him.
    To get things done get a sling or a carrier to free up your hands.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I don't have a sling (wanted one but didn't get it). At that time I was just trying to get some stuff done and it is only me doing everything. Sometimes I let him cry if it just fussing cause he dropped a toy but besids that I am trying to soothe him.

It gets hard sometimes. I was trying to redo my resume and he just wouldn't want to play with anything while I did it so I was extremely frustrated cause holding him and trying to fix something like that was hard. But I do NOT let him cry all the time or for long periods of time. If I gotta use the bathroom or when changing a diaper that length of time I am okay with but nothing longer than that.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 6:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I never left my baby to cry it out. But then she only cried when she was either too hot/cold, hungry or needed to be changed. Like all babies. Other times it was either a cold, ear infection or teething issues. Also heartburn/ acid reflux. That will make them cry. So no I do not agree with letting a baby cry it out at such a young age.

Now my baby girl is a year old. She only cries and fusses when she's so tired that she becomes delirious- which is very rare. That's her way of telling me she just wants to go to bed. Then she'll be asleep before in no time.

I think that when you hold a crying baby that they will know that you are there and they can rely on you.

If a child is just trying to get your attention, then cleaning and stuff can wait until later. Your child relys on you and will be grown up and gone before you know it.
    Jennb82

Answer by Jennb82 at 7:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• talk to ur baby and tell them what ur doing.even if they are crying.and u can try peek a boo so they will learn when u leave u will come back
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2009