HOW MUCH WILL MY DAYCARE EXPENCES COST??

If I have a 20 month old and a newborn ( newborn will be two months old ) I will be at work from morning to afternoon 7 : 00 to 2 : 00..

zoeilyy

Asked by zoeilyy at 4:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• Wow, it depends! Many places charge a flat daily rate, whether your child is there 2 or 10 hours.

I got to an in-home daycare that provides breakfast, lunch and a snack (I supply diapers and butt wipes). It's $125/wk. I have 10 days of "vacation" that I can use. The daycare happened to be the cheapest in the area and is also the best.

Look around, A LOT! Call the local regulatory board to see if there have been any problems with it. Ask for references, etc.

As to cost...it really depends on where you live. I know people that pay over $200/wk for just one child. I think that's nuts.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 4:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It all depends on you are located and if you are going to a center or using a home based provider. are you expected to provide your own meals, diapers, wipes etc.

is there a craft fee assessed find out if there are other occasional fees. I would also strongly suggest that if you are using an individual in their home you find out about her vacation and sick policy will you still have to pay her if she is sick (what is her back up plan) if she takes a vacation will you have to pay her and what about if you take a vacation or your kids are sick?
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 5:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It will be more than a monetary expense. There is a great emotional expense of your children who need to be home being raised by their parent, not a stranger. Unless you're making quite a huge salary, you'll spend much more in daycare than you will bring home, making it a great waste of precious time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It depends on the daycare. Some don't offer half days, like mine, but your hours would probably put you at a full day since you work 7 hours.

If I sent my one child every day of the work week, we'd pay $210, or $42 per day. If I had two kids in the center, the cost per day would be $35 per child, or $350 for the week.

I only send my son 2 days a week since I'm only part time right now. If/when I work full time, I send him 3 days and my mom is willing to watch him the other 2 days.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I was in the same situation when my son was born and my daughter was 28 months old. I worked 7-3 and anything after 12:00 is considered "full day". So it was going to cost me $900 a month for both of them, but I was only making $1000 a month. I opted to stay home instead. It's been 4 years and is working out great for us. We had to make a lot of financial changes and fortunately my husband has a good job, but it's working.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

Get over yourself, people have to work. If you don't then have a cookie. STFU about people that do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It depends on where you live. I live in SE Wisconsin and for a child under 2 years it is anywhere from $190-250 a week for fulltime care (30+ hours a week). Some will provide food, including formula, baby cereal and baby food in the cost. You have to look around and see what it out there and what the fees are. IF you find one that is way below other centers in your area, STAY AWAY.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2009