Renters wont leave after eviction???

I Live in Ca. We rent one of our homes out. They havent paid rent for 3 months. We served them with an eviction notice. When I served them they told me the lady who leased the house from me moved out anf gave the house to them. I called the police and they said they couldnt help without me going through the courts. There has to be another way. they're living there for free and not paying me the rent i am owed. How long will the court process take.. Another month? thats another month of free rent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Home & Garden

• That's really the only thing you can do. Go through the Courts - hire a lawyer.
    We had this problem, and through the contract they everyone agreed upon - we hired the lawyer, and they were out within the week. After the lawyer went through the right "chain of command" we then called the cops, and they were able to "escort" them out.
    Good luck! And how annoying for you to deal with. :[!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Call the cops, tell them you have people trespassing on your property who are not supposed to be there, maybe you can get them out?
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I agree, call a lawyer. It will surely cost less than another months rent that you will be losing. Hell even if it costs more, it is worth avoiding the headache to go through any more to get them out.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• You will have to go through the courts

Answer by rkoloms at 5:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• You can turn off all of the utilities

• You have to go through the eviction process. I think a 30 day notice is first, then you get papers from the court and its at least another month. There is no other way around it. Pay extra to serve any un named people living there, that could bite you in the butt later. Scummy people know how to work the system. Its sucks.
    CrazedMomof2

Answer by CrazedMomof2 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I would call an attorney and tell them that the people are tresspassing on your property and what can you do to get them out. Also, turn off all utilities, call the sheriff's dept and tell them that the people are tresspassing and you want them out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I also have a couple of properties in Tx. One I have with a property mnger. My renters were 18 days late. They served them with a 3 day notice to be out. I got the rent plus late fees. I was told by a man that had tenents who wouldn't pay so he took out all the toilets called the city and they pushed the people out saying it was unfit to live. You are going to have to go to the courts and get an immidiate eviction.You can change all the locks and have all their stuff hauled off. I hope you get them out. I hate when they don't pay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• If the house isn't even leased to the people who are living there, can you get them on trespassing charges? They have NO legal rights to live there.

Generally, evictions are not legal unless they are court ordered.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Oh and in most states it is illegal for the landlord to have utilites turned off or to do anything shady like take the toilets out...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009