My daughter is going to the 9th grade and has a offer to attend Bishop Dunne Catholic School w/full scholarship to play basketball I would love for her to go, but she doesn't want too.

This is a great opportunity for to her to continue w/ her receiving a great education that I would love for her to continue to receive. But she wants to go to Mesquite High School w/ other opportunites also, but the education is different. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• This is ultimately her own education... at least she's WANTING to go to school and has a preference, versus not having any interest in education at all.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• There's a lot of things to consider ... are more of her friends at the Mesquite HS, and she doesn't want to leave them? Does she know anyone going to the Catholic HS?

Your the parent, which school is best for her education? Which one will push her more? Which one will expose her to better colleges? Catholic schools are sometimes small and have more intimate classroom sizes, compared to some overcrowded public schools. And sometimes they can be big as well. Weigh all the options. It is your choice, but hear what she has to say too.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• She's coming out of private school now her school only goes to 8th grade and she has been since 3rd grade. A couple of her friends she played basketball with are attending Mesquite and also she has a cousin who goes there. And yes she has friends attending Bishop Dunne she's known since she was 8 yrs. old. We've discussed it and she's thinking about it and is going to let me know before school starts. Thanks so much for the advice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• make her go to the catholic/ private school. im sorry she doesnt want to go but a FULL SCHOLARSHIP? for better education. she will make more friends i promise. i was in the same situation. i told my parents i would kill myself and tried to run away bc they moved me from the public school to a private one. and i learned that the education was 100% better, and i made tons of friends thru soccer.

i live in SC where the education SUCKKKS, and the school they forced me to go to was a TOP TEN in the US magnet school. she will hate you for a while but thank you in the long run. send her!
    honeybee429

Answer by honeybee429 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Thank you so much I think that I and a stranger told her the same thing so I think we've help her. I think it's because she's tired of that environment I think that was the main focus of it. And Bishop Dunne is one of the top schools also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I would look at the average amount of scholarships awarded to graduates, the graduation rate, average ACT/SAT scores and the colleges that graduates are accepted at.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I would send her to the private school, especially with a scholarship. I would have sent my son to a Catholic school if I was offered a scholarship. If she doesn't like it or do well after the first year, then let her switch schools.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Education is indeed important but at her age so is stability with friends. Peers are vital to emotional survival. If it's not her choice to go she may rebel and not do well and ultimately be kicked out to be able to return to her friends and what's familiar to her. If I truly wanted her to go I'd try taking her to things at the new school and have her get to know new friends to make the transition easier. Make her want to choose the new school is the point. Show her how great it is. Let her meet the teachers and see what she would be missing out on. Do what all marketers do and "sell" the product.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• You should make her go! That is so great and wonderful for her future. I am a junior in high school and let me tell you from experience public schools these days are BAD. She wont learn enough and will be exposed to inappropriate things. Please protect your child who will thank you later!!!! She is too young to know what is best, only what is popular.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It doesn't matter which school she attends. If she wants to do well in school, she will. There is good and bad in both public and private schools. I would tell her how I feel then let her make the choice. After all, she is the one that will be going to school. As long as she applies herself in any school, she will do just fine.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:30 AM on Aug. 10, 2009