Should you walk away from your own family???

My sister had a baby in March and she is with a guy who is very abusive to her... he's very verbally abusive not so much physical. Everytime they fight she calls me or my mom to come to our houses to "leave" him. She stays away from him for a couple days then goes right back. I wrote her a letter telling her how I feel and she just got pissed off. I don't know what to do. He doesn't have a job and does nothing positive for her. Any Advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• My sisters husband is like this and she calls me crying all the time. I tell her she needs to leave for a while but she says no she loves him so I finally told her that if she wont help herself no one else can help her. It has to start with truely wanting help. Leaving for a couple days doesnt change a man just gives him time to think about what he can do to hurt her the next time. When you love someone it is hard to walk away but why stay with someone who abuses you and wont try to change. All its gonna do is make her feel like a worthless piece of trash while hes sitting on his controlling high horse. You cant keep helping her if she doesnt try to help herself and she will be mad and wont understand until she quits running from the problem and as long as she has someplace to run she will never be strong enough to get out of the situation and see what its doing to her.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 6:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Women in abusive relationships are there because they feel that they have no way out, or they have been made to feel that they did something wrong to deserve the abuse. All you can do is be there for her and hope that she finally decides that she has had enough.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i know what shes going through =( its rough
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2009