Will I be able to go by my birthing plan?

I'm going with the Bradley method, and I really want a completely natural birth. (no i.v., no pitocin, or anything like that, and I want to breastfeed asap, have my baby stay with me the entire time.) Supposing everything goes normal, will this be possible, or will the nurses and stuff try to overrule my wishes. Im only asking because I havent taken a tour of my hospital yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It really depends on the staff at the hospital. Some are really good about it, and some just aren't. With my 3rd kiddo, I made it very clear that I wanted no intervention, no IV, no epidural, but when I got near the end and felt like I couldn't labor anymore they suggested an epidural and I took it. Goobers. They also made me have a hep lock in my wrist and they administered pitocin through it after the birth. I ended up homebirthing for my 4th birth just because I didn't want to deal with all of their pressures.
    They are trained to deal with emergencies and it seems like a lot of hospital staff are just not comfortable with letting a birth progress on its own. I wish you luck. :)
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 5:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• they cant do anything to you that you dont want them to. so if they start to try and give you an IV you just say Im opting out of that thanks anyway. They cant force you to haveone
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 6:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Most nurses will suggest things to you but if you don't want to do it stay strong and don't give in. It's kinda hard bc there is so much going on esp if you are in pain. I wasn't going for the all natural, but within ten min of being at the hospital,, the nurse said do you want pain meds and i could barely answer before she was off to get it. thinking about it now....i could have gone a whole lot longer if i was in control. i told my dr i wanted a water birth on my next baby and she was liek NO dont do that! its just gross. im like idc if its gross or not. thats what i want to do. and she was like dont do it. i love my dr to death but if shes not gonna support me then im gonna have to find another.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• They can't make you. BUT... they can use lots of scare tactics on you, and if you refuse, they can keep bringing it up, and it can really make labor annoying if you're trying to focus. If they aren't comfortable with something you've decided, such as opting out of pitocin, they can call a judge and get a court order and threaten to take your kiddo, stuff like that. They can just say that they thought the baby was in danger and convince the judge to enforce it. It is a horrid situation when it occurs and I don't want to make you fearful, just aware that situations like these do occur.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 6:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• As far as the breastfeeding thing goes, I read an article that talked about ways hospitals do things that make it harder to breastfeed. Such as giving a bottle in the nursery, etc. and I told my husband that when the baby leaves our room, he is to follow and not allow them to give her anything. Unless of course she were sick and needed meds or something like that, but that would be via IV anyway. Luckily our hospital is really good about going with mom's wishes and doing things as naturally as possible. Our hospital also gives you about an hour or two to bond and try to nurse and they do as much of their testing while you're bonding as they can. They wait to get the length measurement and to do the eye drops or goo or whatever it is until they take the baby to the nursery for the bath. If my baby isn't in our room, my husband or I will be with her, no matter what.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Honestly, it depends on your hospital. I would try not to worry about it until AFTER you have had a tour if you are having one.

Or you can call and see if someone has the time to chat with you. They may not, but if possible that would be a good way to get information.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 7:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i agree that it depends on the hospital. it's true that they can't make you do anything but some will pressure you to do things. my hospital was pretty good. once in the middle of my shouting and all, a nurse said " you know you CAN get an epidural." and i said no and they never mentioned it again. they did keep wanting me to get a catheter afterwards but i kept refusing and had to try harder to empty my bladder on my own.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009