What are the odds of mother passing a birth defect on to a baby?

Okay so I have two boys, 4 and 2, and I had a birth defect all my life but just figured it out when my youngest was 5 months old. Well a year later I had heart surgery to correct it. Although I am very excited to be trying for a third child I still can't stop thinking about the fact that they Doctor did say it was genetic. I have been trying to find the odds online but I guess I am not searching right. Does anyone know the odds or know where I can find the answers?

Thanks

McKillip4

mckillip4

Asked by mckillip4 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Im not sure what the odds are, but since you know what it is and it is obviously treatable I would say just get them tested and not to stress. Giving a child a life where they may need something corrected is better than not giving them a life at all. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Not sure as far as 50/50 or whatever but I know that my son has a birth defect and his odds of having kids with his defect isn't but like 4% so I dont know. My odds of having another baby with his same defect is like 3%. You need to talk to a geneticist.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2009