For those against the health care plan...

Are you against everyone having insurance or just against this plan?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I do not believe it is the governments nor the taxpayers job to provide insurance for every American. Health insurance is not a God given right. My family has always paid for our own insurance, and that is something that I feel everyone should do, except for those that are disabled. When you hand someone something they do not appreciate it, thus insurance should be not handed out like candy.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:53 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• They believe that the current situation is just fine. They don't understand that when someone who does not have insurance and can't afford preventative care shows up at and emergency room, the care costs twice as much, and is paid for by all of us.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I hate the bill with a passion it is garbage for the fact that it WILL eventually in 5- 10 years void out all private health insurers. I think that everyone should be able to BUY Insurance but NO ONE should think it is a right... because If it was a right then med school would be free and so would all med "expenses" would not exist and doctors wouldn't want to get paid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Rkloms are you suggesting that we are paying the same amount of taxes that we will if UHC goes thru? I don't think so!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 6:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My the assumptions actually that is what you wish to portray as always we are just evil and selfish uncompassionate people...to you rk right? As I stated in another post it sure is not the dems who contribute most voluntarily to those less fortunate it is in fact us Conservatives not even the president nor our vp contributed much of anything in the last several yrs.
    Now as for reform I am for some reform just not THIS that the dems are trying to shove down our throats.We are BROKE ...this would not even take effect until about 2013 or later ..so whats the rush hmm? why is it so urgent right now? Those in congress are not reading these bills...medicare and social security are going bust which is government ran...why add more govy ran controlled programs? I tell you why because it is not about the American people it is about power and control..the dems are on a huge power trip.
    We COULD make health insurance more affordable
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• through other ways like say tort reform and dealing with the illegal immigrant problem.BUT you see there are many in congress who are lawyers and this would not suit them one bit they love being on the teet...and so they resist.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• "Answered at 5:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 by: ronjwake
    Rkloms are you suggesting that we are paying the same amount of taxes that we will if UHC goes thru? I don't think so!

You are correct, we will pay less. The per person cost for the VA (government run healthcare) is much less than from Blue Cross. As medicaid was privatized, the costs went through the roof. The cost of San Francisco's insurance (open to all residents) is $279 per person. Even Kaiser has joined the City plan.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I don't see how anyone would be against people having insurance... that mentality is designed to demonize opposition to the plan. Jmo there! The majority of conservatives against it are against it because they believe the government has different obligations. The government interfering with private business is a no no in their minds- after all look what big government has done for anything else it runs, schools to social security. The conservative mindset is not that people shouldn't have insurance but that the government's job is to protect people's right to it- not their job to actually do the providing. The fear is that it hasn't worked in other places, it would stifle free market options, and ultimately put politicians in charge of your physical well being (or eventual lack there of)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 6:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I don't believe for one moment that anyone will save money by UHC, taxpayers that is. And does anyone really think the gov't would be effective in running UHC ? Oh that makes me laugh!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 6:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Billions could be saved with just tort reform. The gov can NOT take over 1/7th of the economy and expect us to survive.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2009