Has any one had luck with baby sign language?

I want to enroll myself and my 16 week old in a baby sign class, but I wanted to know if anyone else has had any experience with it, and at what age I should start teaching her. Is it better to get a book and teach her myself? Or to go to a class with her?

CompassLost

Asked by CompassLost at 6:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep!
    My son signs more often than he babbles. He was born 3 months premature and I started doing signing around the time he came home. 3 months old or so.
    He started really getting the hang of it around 5 months.
    I never enrolled in a sign language class or anything - just did it on my own with a few books for help. It's definitely fun!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I'd just get a book. Don't bother paying for classes when you can do it on your own.

I've never done baby signing but I have a friend who has done it with all three of her kids so far. It works well for them before they can speak words, but I have to admit that it drives me crazy when her 3yo (with a LARGE vocabulary) will stand in front of me and wave her fingers when she needs to go to the bathroom. Once they can SPEAK, I think it would be nice if they were encouraged to do so. But that's just my opinion, of course. :)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• You don't need to purchase anything. Just look up the signs you want to use on the internet and start signing them to her as you're speaking. She will pick it up. I have a home daycare and I watch children under 2. I teach all of them how to sign and they have all picked it up fairly quickly.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Do NOT use baby sign. Use ASL. Taking a class is a great idea if you don't have any experience with ASL. You can use a book or website for single words, but if you want to progress to sentences, you really should take a class.

Here's one I like, it has video: http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

The problem with Baby Sign is that the woman who invented it thinks babies can't learn ASL. (then how do deaf babies learn to communicate? duh) She has modified some ASL signs to something she feels the baby (or youngster) "can" do. This becomes a problem because some of her modifications then mean...um...a bad word, in ASL.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Thanks for all the great tips. I was planning on using ASL and not Baby Sign. I will start looking online for signs now and start teaching her tomorrow!
    CompassLost

Answer by CompassLost at 10:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• You can also check to see if your local library has Signing Time! videos available to borrow. We have all of them. My youngest was born with a hearing loss, so we used lots of signs when she was younger and we did not know how successful the hearing aids would be. We still use it sometimes and I teach a free ASL playgroup twice a month in my area. If you check the Signing Time website in the forums area there is a section to see if there are playgroups in your area.
    lauraslefthook

Answer by lauraslefthook at 2:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009