Those who are not Christian, tell me about your beliefs and how you worship

O.K. I promised a question for non-christians. I would like to know two things, what do you believe, do you believe in a higher power?

If so how do you worship or show devotion to that god or higher power?

Now, Christians, if you read these just let others express their beliefs without argument. I'm just interested in learning about others.

teamquinn

Asked by teamquinn at 6:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i believe that whatever is the reason we are alive and what happens after we die is something that we can never guess because if we knew it now, it would ruin the learning experiences of life. i dont "worship" anything. i just live my life trying to be good to myself, and good to other people, good to mother nature and learn and live as much as i can. i think that we are all connected, i think that we are all "one". i consider myself spiritual. i feel a strong connection to other people, and life and the earth and knowing that theres something more then this, but i dont think i am able to know what it is, alls i know is that im not scared of it, and im not scared to do the things that come naturally to me, even if sometimes they arent the best things to do, i just learn from it. the only people i show devotion to are my family, friends, and myself.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I will answer your question. I am an Atheist, so I do not believe in a higher power, hence, I do not worship. My family believe in God and are Christians, my parents never went to church or made me go. I went to Baptist church and Sunday school with a neighborhood friend a bit as a child, and I also went with other neighbors to a Methodist church. When I was staying with my aunt and uncle I was forced to go with them to one of their services. In my early teens, I took another look at my Bible and began to use logic in place of faith and came to my own conclusion. The Bible has a good message, but I do not believe it to be the word of God since I do not believe He or any other exist. Coming out as an Atheist when I was so young was very shocking to my family. They assumed I was a Satanist. So I explained to them that if I didn't believe in God, then I do not believe in Satan. They have all accepted me for who I am. ..cont....
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 7:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I believe in a higher power. I believe in a male and female diety tho. I believe in reincarnation and meditation and in finding the divine within myself and sharing that with my fellow man.

I see our spirits/souls more like energy and the same goes for the Divine(not like actual physical beings). So I see that energy working to enhance the universe after Im done on this earth.

I believe in magick...in the power of herbs and crystals and in mind over matter(in many instances not necessarily all). I believe in honoring the divine by being good to those around me and respecting them as well.

If I do something specific its a ritual which is similar to prayer. I light a candle, burn some incense, say a few words to the Divine about the situation at hand and then focus my energy towards that situation.

I dont rely on the Divine to fix it, I do the work, they give the strength.

My purpose here...to learn and grow.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I'm Wiccan. I believe in a God/Goddess. We have sabbots and rites we do.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I am now trying to make people more aware that because you are an Atheist does not mean you are a bad person. I believe that as long as you live a good/honest life, it should not matter what if any religion you are. I do not bash others for their beliefs and I expect to be treated the same.
    Sorry, I went on and on, but this should help you understand some about Atheists. We love just like anyone else, we do not hate God nor are we angry, we have just chosen not to follow the masses due to our own experiences and choices in life.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 7:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• -I don't worship anything. But I am a Pastafarian. If I had to worship anything, it would be the Flying Spaghetti Monster, because he's absolutely amazing with all of his noodley goodness. RAmen!
    -I'm an anti-theist. I think religion does more harm than good, and I do believe that the world would be better off if it were secular. This philosophy does not make me hate religious people, though. I know how to separate the two. If you had to put it in Christian terms, it would be "love the sinner, hate the sin."
    -I'm agnostic. I think if any deities do exist, it is unknowable to us and if said deities exist, they are seriously apathetic towards us humans.
    -And I'm also atheist. All signs to me point to there being no deities of any kind.
    My motto is the bastardized golden rule: "do unto others as they do unto you." You're nasty, I'm nasty. I believe I have nothing to lose!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Salem-
    We have sabbots and rites we do

Can you tell me what sabbots are?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• The "higher power" that you speak of is not a cognizant, thinking or feeling entity. It is an energy force and nothing more. The universal conciousness, the white light, the Force or whatever you call it. It, therefore, does not require any form of worship or adoration, since it is not insecure or childish in that way. It is, to me as practicing witch, nothing more than a soul battery. I draw energy from it and use it. I don't believe in gods or goddesses as they are commonly portrayed and I have no primative urge to worship what is not there. I don't need any gods, as an atheist, nor do I want the bother of taking care of non-existent deities. They are worse than puppies--you end up having to clean up after their piddles and messes and trying to makes excuses for their weaknesses. I'm a little busy living my life.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Ooh, I would like to believe in the Force as well. May the Force be with you!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I'm an agnostic I believe in some of the ideas of the bible, as it perstains to humanity (be kind, forgive, do the right thing, etc.), but i don't believe in organized religion, i guess. When i think of the term "God", i think of hunamity. If i pray to God, i'm praying for/to my spirit (and use the term God basically to mean everyone & the universe. I've known too many religious people who are scum, hypocrites, etc. and it has made me a scinic (sp?). I used to go to church with my step-father, then he'd take the family out for show to lunch, then home to beat us b/c we weren't good enough in church to impress people. Ya, that's my God? I teach my children to do the right thing b/c that's what you would want too. I believe Jesus probably existed, but he was just a man who did the right thing, not miricals though. I teach my children to be kind, be honest, be truthful, and answer to themselves every night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2009