My daughter almost has a panic attack if her long thick hair is down...it must be put up, and several times a day sometimes..could this be a mild form of ocd?

my daughter comes to me several times a day "please mama put my hair up?" she has to have it done as soon as possible..her hair is very long and extremely thick and if it it touching her neck she gets hot and gets upset begging me to put it up..yesterday i was brushing it and she was literally wringing her hands and a little panicy (sp?) waiting on me to put it up. her hair is so heavy this must be done several times a day...i don't mind doing it, it is distressing to see her anxiousness while i put it up. she isn't really bothered by anything else..use to be bothered by the toe seam on her socks, but she says that doesn't bother her any more. has any one else had a child act distressed about something that should not cause stress this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• long thick hair can make you hot and that's uncomfortable especially in the heat we've been having

ask her if she wants it cut!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• maybe she would be happier if was shorter
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 6:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It could be a sensory issue. Look up sensory integration dysfunction. Or just google sensory issues. Some kids have plain "over sensitivity" without having any other issues attached to it. IDK about OCD, because I think that's dx more when they're older. Does she want it long? or short? HTH a little.
    kylesmom2007

Answer by kylesmom2007 at 6:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I don't think it is an ocd. I think that she may have sensitive skin. I have some sensory things because of my super sensitive skin. I wouldn't worry about it. I would explain how if she cuts her hair it will not feel like that anymore and see if she opts to cutting it. You could also put it in two french braids to keep it off of her neck. Or in two pig tails, which will only be half as much on each side so it will stay in the pony longer. Also if you do two pig tails you can braid them and that will keep them nicer still. Good luck!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It could be a sensory issue or she is hot. Maybe she would be more comfortable with a shorter style.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• although her hair is long and beautiful ask her if she would like it cut so its not touching her neck yet you can still put it up if she wants...I have a step daughter who has long beautiful hair though it is thin and she won't let us put it up at all.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 8:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2009