What is the defenition of marriage? I need your answers for an essay that I'm writing!! Help!!

Ok ladies, I need your help!! I'm writing an essay for my Composition Class, and I've chosen to define the word marriage according to MANY different sources! If you don't mind, please share with me the definition of marriage in your own words, about 3-5 sentences or so. If you choose to answer, and I choose your answer, I will be including it in my essay. You can answer anonymously, and I will cite you as an anonymous source. If you want to be cited by name, please email me your name so that I may cite you properly, otherwise you will be anonymous? K, ready GO!!
Thank you!!

SgtsWife1982

Asked by SgtsWife1982 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The definition of marriage in almost any culture is when a couple seal their commintment with a ceremony. I believe as most Americans do that usually this is between 2 people, but many cultures allow for more than one spouse with a ceremony as each addition occurs. Lots of cultures have co-habitation as well a marriag, there is a difference!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Marraige to me is when you've found your best friend and soulmate and decide to spend the rest of your life with them. It takes trust, commitment, honesty and love.
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 7:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Marriage is a commitment between two people in the sight of God. They promised to be loyal to each other in plenty and in want, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, as long as they both shall live. They do not cast their interest or eyes on others. They do all they can to make the other person happy, because they love the person, and making the person happy makes them happy.

Answer by Bmat at 7:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I believe marriage is being in a committed relationship with. Someone that you trust with your life and confide to. Someone who is your other half without that person you are not whole.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• marriage: Between a man and a woman, that is how God created it. Marriage is committment, Love, Faithfulness, communication, disagreements, disapointments, memories, growing closer and stronger by going through the good and bad times even really really bad times. It is about being able to forgive, and the relationship is to be centered around God. In order to have the best marriage both ppl need to submit to God and live according to Gods will. This will all equal up to a healthy marriage.
    waytruthlife

Answer by waytruthlife at 8:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Marriage is when two people are LEGALLY joined by an official of their state (rabbi, priest, pastor, non-dogmatic ordained minister...etc...). Marriage does not have to be religious as many people do not hold religious beliefs, but for those that are, it's a commitment to God. For those that are not dogmatic, it's a commitment to one another. To "love, honor and Cherish" all the days of their lives :)
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:38 AM on Aug. 10, 2009