carseat, store model. HELP!!!!

About 90 seconds ago I got an excited ph. call from my MIL (see many previous posts on the crazy but well meaning bitch) saying she was shopping and saw a carseat on sale she wanted for her car and they were outta stock... and she convinced the manager to sell her floor/display model for hugely cheap. She instantly sensed I was horrified and not pleased... and she refused to tell me what store she was in. I guessed Kmart and was going to call the manager and threaten to F*UCK HIM UP if he didn't run out to the parking lot and take it back... she implied I was being immature and that it's a great deal and a brilliant move because no one has ever sat in it, etc. I got increasingly irate and she eventually let me go. I was under the impression car model car seats are not made with the expensive foam and safety tested, etc??????? Is that even LEGAL? I want to run out right now to the stores and find the missing seat in baby dept.!

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would be nervous about it, if it was used in other people's car. I have seen how babies r us treats their floor models. They drop them on the floor, sling them into carts, and the car seat technician I worked with said that dropping it from chest high can cause tiny fractures. So, it would make me nervous.

Car seats in boxes are protected by the styrofoam. It cushions any falls. However, op, you just need to read a few car seat questions on cafemom to see what a priority people put on car seat safety. It is not a high priority for most people. The car seat is the thing I am willing to put money in, not a fancy layette or whatever.

I'd suggest asking this in a car seat group to find out the facts. They actually make car safety a priority rather than an afterthought.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• They are exactly the same, just like all other things on display. If they werent as good they couldnt legally sell them, especially a car seat!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I've actually been able to buy the display models of quite a few things and they are always the exact same as the ones being sold. You don't have anything to worry about.
    girlsmomma06

Answer by girlsmomma06 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Try to give you MIL a break. I know that special felling of hatred we all feel towards our MILs, but I think this time she is right.
    The car seat is exactly the same as the one in the box. If it does not come with the usage booklet call the manufacturer and ask for a manual. They will send it to you within a week. We bought our carseat/stroller set like this and it worked wonderfully for two kids.
    Heck in this economy every little bit saved helps.

:)
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• They take it out of a box in stock and put it on the shelf for display. YOu are SOOOO over reacting. Give her a break and do some thinking/research before you fly off the handle on her next time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• um wtf? what if people trying it out have dropped it? or employees have dropped it? base could be cracked, or any # of problems. I am in Houston and most stores here encourage parents to take the display modle to their vehicle to see if it truely works for their vehicle size. who knows how it was treated in parking lot, dropped hard on pavement or slammed in frustration. safety 1st. shame on you all for being so quick to judge. glad saving some money is more importent to you then optimal safety in a crash,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I have never seen a store model leave the store. Usually they are tried to the shelf. You are on crack if you think stores just let people take merchandise out to their car to try out. What would stop them from driving off with it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• you're sure picky arent you? there's nothing wrong with the display model. sheesh.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• expensive foam? LMAO! Foam is cheap. No matter what kind it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• YOU know no body has to be snide about it! we are ALL mommies here and do have the right to love and even sometimes OVER protect our children. i would be concerned as well and felt the same way once when my MIL bought my son a walker... doesnt make us bad mommies, just mommies that need to learn to pick our battles. save the judging and rude comments for your selves... as for the question, yes it is over reacting a little cos technically ANY one, even the ones in the box potentially have been misused or mishandled. its a trust that the consumer has in the manufacturer, not a guarantee.... but any hoo, if you are feeling that your MIL is over bearing she needs to back off and let YOU be YOUR childs mother, and listen to your needs and wants for YOUR child. goodluck!
    BillyKraftsMom

Answer by BillyKraftsMom at 5:42 AM on Aug. 10, 2009