Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does Child Support cover School Supplies?

WHo should pay?
Custodial Parent who receives Child Support?
Non-Custodial Parent who pays Child Support?
What about 50/50 situations?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • In Florida, if you receive child support it comes to you on a debit card. If it were me I'd use the card to buy the school supplies, that's what it's there for, to buy things that your child needs.

    Answer by tnm786 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • Child support is supposed to be used to support your spend it how you see if you decide that you need to get school supplies with it, then do so.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • I agree... it falls on the one receiving child support. Unless of course it is some super low amount each month (like he pays $20 for the month), then I would let the other parent know you need a few more dollars for supplies.

    Answer by Amber115 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • Child support covers school supplies. In the case of 50/50 well then you both try to figure out what's necessary to help your child or children succeed in school while living with you. You do care about your kid or kids, right?

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • Child support is used to cover ANY item that is used to SUPPORT the child and that includes school supplies.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • Support is paid to cover the non-custodial parent's part of the child's support. What is paid is to cover, housing, utilities, food, clothes and any other expense. If the paying parent offers to give more money for something, that is up to that parent. It is not considered an "advance" and deducted from future payments. It is not EXPECTED by the payee, either. Well, it is at times, but the payer doesn't have to.

    Use your child support wisely. You're (the custodial parent receiving child support) supposed to provide a certain percentage, too.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • The custodial parent is responsible. You received your support amount for the child and now you have to spend it on the items needed for your child. You are also responsible for a certain percentage of the expense of raising that child, the non custodial parent is not 100% responsible for meeting all the child's monetary needs.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.