How do I tell my neighbor NOT to breastfeed!?

First off I am all for breastfeeding but this girl should not for the sake of her poor child. She is 7 months pregnant and still smokes and according to her fiance drinks. I've seen her smoking plenty of times but I haven't seen the alcohol. I fear for her child as it is but the last time I talked to her she told me she was thinking about breastfeeding! If she doesn't stop these things while she is pregnant I know she won't stopto breastfeed. I'm so worried this child is going to have something wrong with him. And every time I see her I picture him going through detox after he is born! I don't want to step on her toes but it seems to me formula would be the best bet for a healthy baby in her case. What do ya'll think?

Nesa_Z

Asked by Nesa_Z at 7:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would do some research and put it descreatly on her door. In my state (IN) hospitals do manditory drug and alcohol testing of mother and baby upon delivery. If either test positive you don't leave with you newborn baby. They press charges and CPS in in your life until you have proven you are fit to care for you child!
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 7:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I think its really none of your business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• As much as i wish she wouldnt its her choice. The only thing you can do IMO is share with her the information (in a non judgemental way as possible) on how it is harmful. Maybe giving her a couple of baby/parenting books along with healthy living and consequence pamphlets. I wouldnt tell her not to thats just gonna make her mad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• You could always tell her that BFing will mess her boobs all up lol
    That might be enough to deter her.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 7:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• If the baby is going to be around her smoking after they are born, it would still be more healthy for the baby to have breastmilk than formula if they have to be around her smoking. It stinks if mama is drinking, but hopefully it is just hearsay and she isn't. If she only drinkysoccasionally after the baby is born and she is breastfeeding, it shouldn't affect the baby.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 7:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. maybe just give her a book on breastfeeding? they all point out the risks to a breastfed child if you smoke and drink. other than that, you can just hope that they either test her at the hospital or she grows some common sense before that baby comes
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i think i read somewhere that it's better to breastfeed if you smoke than to formula feed. i don't know about alcohol. you would have to do a lot of research to make sure that you are even right before you say anything to her that might sway her decision.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• HER BABY IS PROBABLY ALREADY MESSED UP. POOR KID
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

This is true. 

DanosGirl

Answer by DanosGirl at 8:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It is still more healthy for the baby to breastfeed than to have formula, especially if it's been and is going to be exposed to smoking and alcohol. You could try to share with her information about waiting an hour per drink before breastfeeding again because the baby won't be exposed that way, but otherwise it really is still better for the baby.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 8:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009