Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi, I am in desperate need of help and need cafemoms support.

My 13 month old son is about to start daycare in september which he was on the waiting list for. However, because it's government funded I can not bring his own lunch and I am so sadly disappointed. I am a low - income mother in desperate need of a facility like this to go back to work and all I want to do is provide my child with the dietary regimen he is accustom to from birth. I give him 60 % raw and the rest is vegetarian cooked. Unfortunately the program only serves food approved by the fda and the fda is not into the whole raw movement right now. So, I just need some guidance, advice inspiration to stay on the up and up with this struggle.

Please be well and thank you for all your love !!

Answer Question

Asked by Don62008 at 7:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • See if your doctor will write a note explaining it would be unhealthy for him to change his diet.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • Go to your pediatrician and tell him. Maybe he will give you a note for the daycare that your child is on a special diet and you can bring his own food!
    I used to work at a government run daycare and some mom's did it that way!

    Answer by crazypink at 7:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • The first two are right. Have your childs pediatrician write a note stating that your child is is on a special diet. The daycare will have to follow drs orders. ;)

    Answer by vnw1405 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • It sucks, but if it can't be fixed you will just have to deal with it. I guess it is better than not being able to work and although the menu is different than what you eat at home, they are well balanced meals. I doubt a doctor is going to write a note stating that an 18 month old should be a vegan. ( i am not against it, I just doubt they will} Good luck!

    Answer by kimigogo at 7:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • Ask the doctor to write a note stating that your child is allergic to meat.

    Answer by rkoloms at 8:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • Get a note from your child's doctor to state what he can eat. The daycare has to follow the doctor's orders. Otherwise, he will just have to eat what is provided and the meals are well balanced. I have worked at a day care where we served breakfast, lunch and snacks and we had a parent that only wanted her child to eat certain foods, so she got a note from the doc and that took care of it. She had to provide ALL the food he needed for the day and the child couldn't have any treats that kids brought in for birthdays or other special days.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • This was always my biggest beef with the headstart program for low income parents. They do the headstart for 3's and the prek for 4's and then theres the prek for all families regardless of income. The first two automatically get lunches because of the low income issues. The second prek class has to pay like $20 a week for food. Its terrible food and I think youre right to be concerned. They can call that crap balanced all day long but its nasty. My son has complained about school food for many years and hes only 7. He eats anything and if he can tell you its gross, then its bad. Go to the administrator and ask them if you can have your doctor provide documentation for you that your child needs a special diet. If youve been feeding him one way since he was born, him eating that nasty food could actually make him sick. His body simply isnt accustomed to the content. Low income or not, you should be able to have some say here.

    Answer by momofsaee at 9:31 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • This could mess with his body and actually make him sick if he is switched suddenly. I would get a note from his pediatrician at the very least they will make it so your child is transferred to school meals slowly.

    Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • My son went through the HeadStart program, too - I don't know if that's what you're talking about, but he's lactose-intolerant, and they made me get a doctor's note, too - but they did work with me, giving him only water until I was able to get it. Then THEY procured goat's milk or what he called "new milk" - Lactaid. I didn't have to pay for anything, although I offered. The same went for sunscreen and chapstick.

    Answer by grainneferguson at 1:26 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.