Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what is the latest age that u can circumsize

I have a friend that is havin a boy and she asked me how long can she wait to get him circumsized. she is a single parent and in school and low on funds at the ime of birth.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (11)
  • Grown men have it done sometimes so it CAN be done at any age.... She should talk to the baby's doc about it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • If she wants it done she should have it done at the hospital before he comes home. That being said you can get circumsized at any age, but the older you are the harder it is. I have a girlfriend whose hubby was from England and converted to Judiasim and got it done at 30 ouch!

    Answer by kimigogo at 7:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • No doctor will do it in their office past 30 days, some won't even go that long. Have her talk to the ped or OBGYN. They can help give info. Let her know that if done at birth or right after, it will only be 100-400 bucks, but after 30 days, the child must have surgery and they need anesthesia. It then costs well over $1000. I also thought that it could ONLY be done at the hospital, but it actually cost more to have it done there (by like $200). She should call the local peds in her area and find out how much it is to take baby there instead. Maybe she can borrow money from a friend or family member. Good luck.

    Answer by Amber115 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • I have known grown men who were circ. They had problems and had to get it done. It is much easier to get it done as a new born,

    Answer by mom2boys1997 at 7:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • It can be done at any age, but the older they are the more risky the procedure. This isn't due to the actual cutting of the foreskin, but it's because once past a certain age, they have to be put under with general anesthesia, not just a local at birth.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • It can be done at any age. My insurance covered the circ. She needs to find out if the insurance will.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • If it is not done within the first few days or weeks after birth it has to be done by a urologist rather than by the OB. That being said, it can be done at any age and is often done in older boys and men when/if an infection occurs. It was actually not common in the US to have it done at birth until after WWII. That is because so many soldiers ended up with complications and infections from their uncircumcised penises due to the lack of sanitary conditions on the battle field. After that people began doing it at birth to avoid future issues.

    Answer by beckcorc at 8:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • you should have a urologist do it not an ob, an ob messed up my son so that he pees to the side, they can do it at any age, hopefully b4 they can remember. insurance doesnt always cover as it is ellective unless they kid has some issue that relates to it.

    Answer by AmaliaD at 9:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • They can do it at any age, but when they get older, they need anesthesia. So, if she is worried about funds, it's better to do it sooner than later. Is she sure she wants it done? It is optional.

    Answer by apexmommy at 9:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • The younger they are the less traumatic. The hospital I had my boys in does not do it in the office so my boys were both about 3 weeks when they had it done.

    Answer by mamasitax2 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.