My drooling 2 and a half year old. When does it stop?

He drools and drools and drools. It never stops. Every now and again you'll look over see a big thick long one to the ground. Is this normal? He isn't teething. I still go through 4 shirts a day.

lincsmom74

Asked by lincsmom74 at 7:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 2 and is not drooling.
    But I used to work at a daycare and I sometimes had kids in my preschool group that were still drooling with 3 or 3.5 years old. They just stopped drooling one day...
    I wouldn't worry if I would be you
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 7:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My granddaughter drooled until about 3 1/2. They kept a little drool bib on her so her clothes didn't get wet. She stopped drooling eventually, though. I wondered if it weren't that her adenoids were swollen or her nose stuffy, which would cause her to mouth breath, but apparently that wasn't it.

Answer by Bmat at 7:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Have you talked to your pedi about it? Sometimes drooling that long can be a medical problem. I am not saying it is always a problem but sometimes it is. I wouldn't worry too much about it just ask pedi at your next appointment
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 7:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Question...does he have trouble speaking?

I ask because both of my youngest drooled WELL past their second birthdays (one until the third) They both have speech problems (articulation delay) and have been diagnosed with low oral motor tone. If so...talk to the pediatrician and/or call Early intervention

If not...try to work with him keeping his lips together..."dry your chin". Don't "get on him" about it, just gentle reminders to keep his lips together and chin dry. Show him how to swallow his spit. Practice making "kissy lips" then do a big open smile. Closed smiles, open the mouth and move JUST THE TONGUE side to side. Kind of make him more aware of his mouth and exercise those muscles. (this is all stuff my kids' speech therapist has them doing)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• my 5 yr old just recently stopped, i thought he was going to drool forever. he never had speech problems, he was just a drooler.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 9:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Thank you girls! Alot of good info here. I feel so much better and will talk to pedi next apt. . Thanks again!

lincsmom74

Answer by lincsmom74 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2009