How long did you wait after giving birth to continue your exercise program?

I am still exercising 1 hour a day, but the doctor said I can't lift weights. I just can't wait to get back to my old routine. I am addicted to exercise. I am getting so depressed while I'm pregnant b/c I `can't exercise as much, but I feel like I can.

jessiepink

Asked by jessiepink at 7:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I started right after I came home, walking long walks with the dog, doing crunches.... But I started bleeding so bad that I had to go to the doctor and he told me it was because I was walking too much...
    Just wait the first 6 weeks and then start!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 7:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• you feel like you can till you pull a ligament then what are you going to do be put on bedrest doesnt that sound like fun...your going to have to wait till your done bleeding after birth to do any exercise too so dont be depressed about exercising focus on your baby instead
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i am surprised you can not lift weights... i sure as hell did during pregnancy.

i personally didn't start my real exercise until about 3m post partum. but i did start jogging (2-3miles) around 4/5 weeks.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• he told you you cant lift weights?? thats wierd. i lifted weights while i was pregnant. i mean, not 100 pounds, but 20-40 pound weights on machine at the gym i did. its good to exercise while pregnant. i had a csection, and started back excersising 3 weeks after. i dont always listen to doctors - i listen to my body too.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I exercised with DS1 right up until the end - in fact, went cross country skiing three days before he was born. I primarily swam or walked on the elliptical trainer or skied.

With DS2, I was on bedrest but able to swim and practice yoga.

With both kids, I was up and walking for exercise (speed walking) with the kid strapped on in a Bjorn at 4 weeks (and I had an emergency c with DS1 and complications). I was at the Y back working out at 6 weeks. I had energy to burn even tho I was so tired too!
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I am doing what I feel I can. I listen to my body and keep my heart rate down, but I still have to exercise. From all I've learned as a trainer, it's ok to lift weights while pregnant--BUT LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR FIRST AND FOREMOST. They have that MD for a reason. Mine all know I exercise and are okay with it. I did with my other preg and even kept swimming right up until due date.
    I'm probably not going to get back in until I get cleared at 6wks, my sister started crunches before her 6wks and she was C, but she didn't know better and Could Have done damage. My delivery was tough and I didn't feel like doing anything for 6wks anyway! :)
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Answered at 9:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 by: HybridMom27
    Cross country skiing 3 days before giving birth? That's pretty hard core. Wow.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• "Answered at 9:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 by: HybridMom27
    Cross country skiing 3 days before giving birth? That's pretty hard core. Wow. "

and, extremely dangerous and kinda sstupid. Dont u think about the baby?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• thanks everybody!! I didn't ask why I couldn't lift... I just assumed the doc knew better than me. I'm glad to hear that so many of you were back working out so soon. It makes me feel better. I can't wait to have a huge cup of coffee and run and dance!!
    jessiepink

Answer by jessiepink at 7:02 PM on Aug. 16, 2009