When did your kids first start throwing tantrums?

Mine both started around ten months. They are all out tantrums, as in screaming, kicking, balling up fists and hitting whatever is nearby, and just generally being very angry. Usually it's because I took something away from them that they shouldn't have, like a pencil or a quarter, and usually my response is to ignore it. When they first started these tantrums lasted maybe 30 seconds, but I've seen my son throw them for five minutes or more now.

What about your kids?

whalewail

Asked by whalewail at 8:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• As soon as she was walking - at 12 months... And now she's almost 2 and still throwing these tantrums...
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 8:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• 18 months, and I will NEVER forget when his tantrums started because they would last for 5 hours or more at a time. He was diagnosed with autism shortly thereafter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• 13 months and he is almost 18 months and they have just gotten progressively worse.
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My first two never did (meltdowns due to their SPD, but no tantrums)

My youngest....OMG. He's 2 1/2 and just started with the "throw yourself down on the floor, kick and flail your fists around while screaming" tantrums. He spends a lot of time in the corner calming down right now...but his time spent in the corner at one given time is getting shorter! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

5 hours! Wow! I can only imagine how hard that must have been on both of you. I don't have any first had experience with autism but my kids do have two autistic cousins and I know how challenging it can be from talking to my SIL. You didn't mention how old your son is now or how much progress he's made, but I wish you and your family all the best, now and in the future.
    whalewail

Answer by whalewail at 8:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• 15 months. When he throws a tantrum we tell him No, walk away and ignore him. He generally stops shortly after. Usually if the tantrum continues beyond that it's because he's tired and needs a nap. So we put him down for a nap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• How very kind of you to say whalewail!

He is almost 15 now and doing very well. We were lucky in that he was diagnosed so early b/c we were able to give him therapy at a young age. Communication was our biggest obstacle, but once that was overcome, he just blossomed into a very sweet young man.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2009