Would you go on a mission trip to Haiti?

My in-laws joined a mission trip to Haiti in order to help build and minister to it's citizens. They will be gone for a year.

With all the hunger, death and lack of security not to mention danger, would YOU ever consider giving up your comfy life to travel a world away in order to help those less fortunate?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Think Globally, Act Locally.

There is more than enough danger to be found in my backyard without the necessity of leaving the country. I don't even have to give up my life to really help those who need help. Would I put my neck on the line to help a different country or put myself intentionally in a life threading situation? Not in this stage of my life. My priority's are raising my children, not getting myself killed before I finish that job.

As to going and ministering to others, my beliefs prohibit such attempts of gaining converts. I intensely dislike giving or receiving help with strings attached.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:03 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I don't think I would like to go to Haiti, but I would most certainly go to Costa Rica, since that's where my fiance is from. I can't wait to go there when our daughter gets older. It would be awesome to go and help out people in the poorer parts of the country.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• yes i would because everyone needs to become friends. i belive people need to stick together threw thick and thin the world needs to love one another.
    Ashlee0323

Answer by Ashlee0323 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Yes if i was given the opportunint, prayed about and it and knew that is where God wanted me I would.
    waytruthlife

Answer by waytruthlife at 8:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• opportunity(sry)
    waytruthlife

• I actually wanted to join the Peace Corps out of high school, but my stupid family talked me out of it. But honestly, I wouldn't be where I am now had I joined. I probably wouldn't even have my daughter or fiance.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Our Church Parish just recently "twinned" with a parish in Haiti. Several of our parishioners (as well as our Priest) have taken mission trips and I would love to do it too. They generally only go for a week or two though, and since I have a young family I can't imagine going for any longer than that. I'd miss my family far too much. So I guess my answer is: Yes I'd like to go but not for a whole year.

God bless your in laws for giving so fully of their time and their lives.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My pastor has been, and I have friends that have been, and I would love to go if I had the chance.

I was supposed to go to Costa Rica one year, but I was also involved in a school kind of program, and the trip was one day over getting me past the maximum limit, so I had to choose between the trip and staying in the program (which was an important program, helped with college admissions and stuff) - plus, my mom didn't give me much of a choice, I wasn't going to get kicked out of the program for a mission trip.

Stinks, but there's still time for me to have my chance.

My family has been friends with this other family for almost my whole life, and they would go over summer to other countries and do missionary work. I think its a great thing to do, if you feel called to it.

=)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• (maximum limit of days allowed to miss, I mean)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It is not the right season of my life to go on mission trips (I have little ones). But later on in life, I would love to go to Haiti, or wherever the Lord would have me go.

I personally have a heart for India. My best friend spent a year in Uganda, and we have friends who are permanent missionaries in Morocco.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2009