What does the healthcare bill say about morbidly obese ppl?

I haven't read all of the bill, just bits and pieces. I'm really nervous about what it will mean for ppl like my dh who are morbidly obese and currently uninsureable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It says that insurance companies can no longer refuse to insure him or charge him more because of it. Same with my son's autism.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Here's an interesting link where President Obama is explaining a little...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Weekly-Address-The-Necessity-of-Health-Reform-and-Absurdity-of-the-Attacks/
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 8:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

Huh, last I read, autism was excluded: Click here.  Don't believe what the media/politicans who haven't even read the bill are feeding you.  If it is deemed that your condition is not worth the taxpayers money and/or untreatable, you will either not be treated or you will have to wait so long that treatment won't matter.  Look at our wonderful example up north.

Heather2001

Answer by Heather2001 at 8:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It says that diseases, etc fall to agency and a particular person in charge to make decisions on. It would likely fall to the health czar e. Emmanuel, to decide. Since his life and health views are a little scary,I'd be afraid, too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

That is what scares me.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It says that insurance companies can no longer refuse to insure him or charge him more because of it. Same with my son's autism. Report this answer

That is untrue actually. The disabled and obese will not automatically be covered nor with insurance be forced to cover them. This is still up in the air actually. The Gov plan will discriminate against those who do not take care of themselves. Your hubby might get coverage but will be given a time line of when he needs to get his weight under control. If he doesn't do it he might not be covered for things like diabetes, heart disease and other illnesses he brings upon himself by not taking care of his body. We will see how this works but don't automatically think you will be covered there are ways to deny people in this plan especially for the disabled, unhealthy and elderly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Prob to let them go or knock them off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Thats your dh fault for being morbidly obese. He is uninsurable for things he has done to himself. But yay for the government for helping those who refuse to help themselves.... eyeroll.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Nowhere in the bill does it exclude treatment for Autism or morbidly obese people. The link provided did not reference the bill at all, or quote any valid source, or even show a rep saying it. Honestly people, do your homework and quit swallowing every bit of crap that comes your way!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Anon 9:00pm: She wasn't asking for opinions about her husband you jerk. She obviously cares about her husband and just wanted to know what would happen to him under the plan.
    Mama2JoshKatie

Answer by Mama2JoshKatie at 10:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2009