How old was your child when they started taking showers?

My daughter will be 3 in October. I know she is too young to shower unsupervised and she still enjoys bathtime anyway, but just curious when is the "normal" age to start having them shower.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Honestly....my 15 mo. old takes a shower with me sometimes. I'm 6 mo. pregnant and some days...I just don't get a chance to shower (i try to sleep when she sleeps) so we kill two birds with one stone. =) The toddler book says a lot of toddlers like showering with mom and dad over a typical bath time. I still think bath time is important play time though...the filling and emptying are important concepts.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My two year old sometimes showers with his father... My six year old nephew has been showering on his own for about six months... Although he still like to shower with his dad... My son likes to wash himself already, but we both know they can't do the greatest job...
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 8:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Ours have been showering since they were little babies. My husband would take them in with him. They now stand by themselves and shower, my 5 year old showers by himself and my 3 year old is starting to shower by himself with one of us in the room (he can't get his back yet)

Once a week at least they shower clean then get to fill the tub a bit for playtime.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Mine was 5....and will only go in my shower since it has one of those removable shower heads. It is alot easier...I do still throw him in the tub when he is super dirty though :-)
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My 4 year old will take a shower (supervised of course) if we're in a hurry or it's something like he got sick in the middle of the night. Otherwise he and my 2 year old take baths togther. My little guys is terrified of the shower for some reason (He always has been and doesn't really like the rain either) so I don't konw when he'll be ready for a shower.
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• *together lol...I hate typos :)
    mamasitax2

• my daughter has been showering with me since about 3 months old.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• my 2 kids been takeing showers since few months old
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My son has been taking them since he was potty trained at 4. He got too dirty after that, I couldn't stand to see him swimming in his own filth in a bath. I let him do it still once in a while (he's 8) when he's not that dirty, for fun.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My son will jump in the shower with me as I finish mine and then stay in there once I get out until I either make him get out or plug the bath tub up for him. He has been doing this for a couple months now. He just turned 3 at the end of July. He showers while I dry off and get dressed and do my hair. He showers for fun. When he needs to get clean he takes a bath so that I can help him wash whatever he needs help with.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 10:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2009