Anonymous or Not? That is the question.

I am a having difficulty lately with the fact that posting anonymously is an option on this site. I am finding that option is giving people the opportunity to be rude or ask inflamatory questions. Does anyone else feel that the anonymous option is a bad idea that should be eliminated by CM, or do you think it's a perfectly fine way to post or comment?

Imogen13

Asked by Imogen13 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in About CafeMom

• i think it is fine the way it is, some people are too embarressed to ask certain questions and there for dont want people to know who they are, that is fine, people will be rude regardless of the anonymous option.
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• if u dont like it go to another site
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I think if people dont have the balls to say it under there profile then dont say it at all.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Well the answering anon sucks but the asking of questions I think is fine because more and more moms will ask questions and not be embarressed to ask....
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Anon 8:34, thank you for illustrating my problem with the option. I do go to another site. I'm on Facebook a lot more than I'm on this site, but thanks for the advice.
    Imogen13

Answer by Imogen13 at 8:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I find the anons quite entertaining; I suspect that some of them want to be professional comedienes when they grow up.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I feel that if people could not post anon that they might be afraid to post things that are important to them. And people might also miss out on opinions or answers that could make a difference to them, maybe an important difference- something they never thought of but that would not be posted because someone was afraid to be singled out by name but who would post anon if they could. It is important to get all the feedback that we can, and an active site like this is an opportunity to get opinions from people of all ages and experiences. This opportunity would be lessened if people were afraid to post.

Answer by Bmat at 9:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• No it is not a bad option and should continue to remain. Yes some people use it for bad but it is here for people who want to use it in a genuine way. It's not right (or fair) to take a good thing from good people.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 10:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• If you go to the cafemom discussion group the standard answer to nearly every question posted about policy is "if you don't like it, go somewhere else." No matter how the debate goes otherwise. You can't hide behind anon there. So there are people who will be rude to your face.

My answer to this is always the same. It is too important for the people who use it the way it is meant to be used that taking it away from them is not right under any terms. If people would just report the rudeness, the nasty witches would go away because CM does know who they are and will eventually get tired of having to send them warnings about their behavior here.

Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 10:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• some of us answer anon, becuase we don't want to bashed or feel ashamed by our answer. But some people use it leave rude remarks. I think it should stay.

Cafe mom also post this:Check this box if you want this answer to appear anonymously. If you answer anonymously, please make sure your answer is nice, honest, and respectful. Any disrespectful anonymous answers will be removed and your account may be suspended or even canceled.
    ibeamomysomeday

Answer by ibeamomysomeday at 10:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2009