should kids...

should kids go to pre-k? or wait until kindergarden. they are at home now. everytime i see that hallmark commercial i cry. with the girl getting on the bus.

Ashlee0323

Asked by Ashlee0323 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i think pre-k not only helps the parents to start letting go and realizing their babies are growing up, but also helps the kids get used to a school environment. that way kindergarden isnt such a shocker.
    BrooksDestiny

Answer by BrooksDestiny at 8:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My son went to pre-school and loved it. He is ready for Kindergarten, but where we live your child has to turn 5 before sept. 1st and mine wont be 5 until Feb. I think pre-K is a wonderful place for kids to develop emotionally, socially and acedemically. Oh, and i will be taking my son to school everyday because i don't feel comfortable with him riding a bus yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• No to pre-K unless they are at risk but yes to nursery school. I think the socialization, the values-based education, being part-time and not mixed in with day care is great. I would NOT send my kids to a pre-K/academic focused program. I think they are too young and naturally curious to be pushed in an academic setting at 3 or 4! As it is, Kindergarten is now much more academically focused. When I was in K, we put on little skits about pilgrims and had a goldfish and built cool things. Now they drill reading & writing from day 1 thanks to NCLB! At least we're still 1/2 day.

We have a great values-based co-op nursery school. My 3 yr old will go 2 mornings a week for 2 1/4 hrs, and then when he's 4 it expands to 3 mornings, 2 3/4 hrs. A parent is always helping, parents run the school but we have professional teachers - it's fantastic.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• "socialization" is so over rated. What's wrong with kids playing together outside of school? Can we not have friends over? I guess that's not enough. We have to teach them the herd mentality early.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I like preschool and think it is beneficial for every child. Why not? But sadly funds for education limit many states to offering preschool for only those children who are at risk for not doing well in kindergarten. I believe we need to make a concerted effort to expand preschool services. In Georgia preschool is free and available to all parents who want their child to participate under the HOPE scholarship fund. Kindergarten is wonderful but by that time you already need to know your colors, numbers, alphabet, how to cut/glue, shapes, ect....all things covered in preschool. Of course you can do those at home too. As far as the socialization: public preschool often offers more exposure to diverse children. Of course that is sometimes the exact reason why some would choose not to venture to preschool. For my child the question is which preschool to go to. We love Montessori and so does my son.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It depends on what you believe is best. I am sending my 3 year old to head start so she can be with kids her own age. I just had another baby so I feel it will help her to be able to interact with other kids. She has a speech delay and don't realy act her age so I am Hopeing it will help her. Plus it gives them time away from there parents which helps them not to be so attached. My dd has been with me since she was born so I think its good to get her away from me for a few hours because she is very clingy to me.
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• well my daughter is 3 and starting head start this year in a couple of weeks and she cant wait
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 11:13 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I don't think they NEED to go to preschool but with the way some kindergartens are it is almost necessary and for a lot of kids it is beneficial for many different reasons. My 3yo is going in the fall not because I think she needs to go to school but because she WANTS to go. It's 2 days a week, 2 hours each day at our local park. My oldest daughter went to the same school when she was 4 and loved it (we've known the teacher for 5 years now). My middle daughter went through our park district but at a different park. She only went for half a year and was 5 when she started. The main reason she went was because she was so clingy. I was glad we did it because she freaked out the first day. A few months later she graduated with a lot more confidence and was on to kindy (she'll be starting 1st grade this year).
    My son never went to preschool and is doing okay and going into 2nd grade.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:48 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• its an individual decision based on the child, family, local resources etc.
    What is right for one child is not necessarily so for another (even in the same family) and what works for one family is not always so for another.
    Look at your child and yourself.... are you teaching him his academics etc. already at home naturally, is he/she good with other kids, does he/she have lots of oppertunities to interact with other children, can he/she follow directions etc.etc.
    How are the local schools? Is there part time maybe 2x's a week for 1/2 day???
    Its all upto you and your family.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• it definitely depends on the kid.

my oldest was not ready and did not enjoy her first months at preschool - we ended up having to move so had to pull her out. she did not enjoy a minute of it despite our efforts. so she went right into kindergarten and was way happier.

my middle dd is the most social creature on the planet! we put her into preschool at 3, then 4. she THRIVED on it! and is now going into grade one this year.

my youngest is a mix of her big sisters so I do have her registered but we'll see how she does. I am not opposed to pulling her out this year and waiting til she's 4 to get into preschool.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2009