I was posed with an opportunity for a great job today, but feel conflicted because I have been a SAHM for the past year.

I have loved being with my son this past year, but I feel excited by the idea of getting into the workforce again, making my own money, and being intellectually stimulated. At the same time my heart aches at the idea of not being around my son 24/7 like I am now.

How do you cope with being away from your kids when you are at work, and will my heart be able to handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• i think it would be good for you mentally. and it will be good for him to eventually get used to not being able to be with his mom 24/7, because one day he will be in school. its also best to have an income especially in the economy today. of course youll miss him, but its for the best and at least you had this year with him, alot of moms dont even get that.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• OP here ~ I know Purpulbutterfly, you are so right. I am soooo lucky to have had this year with him. I knew every single second that I was blessed to be with him so much. I didn't regret a moment of it. I just needed the encouragement. I am excited, but heart broken at the same time (if that even makes sense! LOL!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Your son will need you so much more between 12 and 18 than he does now. Get your career established now, so you have the flexibility you will need then.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• When my oldest daughter was 3 I went back to work...I missed the "adult conversation" and I liked being back in the workforce....she went to daycare and I think it was good for her....now I stay home with my almost 3 yr old and 1 yr old...sometimes I wished I was at work because I get stressed out plus the fact that we could use the money....with the cost of daycare though, it probably wouldn't be worth it.....if you have a good opportunity I would take it....I would miss my girls if I did go back to work but think the kids adjust better than we do...good luck
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i think it is good to have an established career. your heart will handle because it is the best thing for your child. heaven help you if your husband gets sick or is unable to work. you can provide for your family. i don't want to make you angry but what happens if so many years down the road the marriage doesn't work out and you have to provide for you and your child. you are not trapped in a bad situation, and your child doesn't have to live daily with what's going on. your heart will handle it, if you are secure in the child caring arrangements you make. Always have a back up child arrangement as well. best of luck mom.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I have been a stay at home mom for the last 8 years. Now that my girls are in elementary school, I take classes and work as a substitute while they are in school, and I am there at home when school is out. I am raising my children. Not someone else...AND I got to be the one to witness all those "firsts". I hand-picked their school so I can be assured they are getting the best education, and I am getting my teaching certification so I can teach along side their classes.

I do not regret one minute of sacrificing my own personal life, during those first 5 years. I see the "daycare kids" in my daughter's classes - and the lack of connection they have with their mothers/fathers - it's very sad. I can pick out the kids raised by a SAHM in an instant. There is a HUGE difference.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2009